Posted in Recipes on 28.08.2018
Herb and Lemon Tomato Salad
prep: 10 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 10 mins / quantity: 2 - 4 portions (2 as a main, 4 as a side) Print recipe?
This herb and lemon tomato salad is everything at the moment. Why?
- Fresh herbs
- Zingy lemon
- Perfectly in season sweet, ripe tomatoes
- Fiery red onion
- Crusty bread
- 5 minutes to whip the whole thing up
Have you ever tried growing your own tomatoes? The smell is intoxicating. And the taste – sweet, tangy, mouth wateringly juicy with soft skins and firm flesh. I’m not a fan of hot weather but I am 100% a fan of the fine fruits and vegetables that come with summer. Last week we had a Baked Rice Pudding with Roasted Fruits quickly followed by Summer Fruits Pancake Tacos. Fresh summer fruits in all their sweet finery.
Today is all about tomatoes. I can eat tomatoes till I look like a tomato. Fact ?
Tomato and Pearl Barley Risotto (actually having that for dinner tonight as I type this)
Just a few of the tomato recipes we have here. All loved and ALL made again and again. But this salad is my current tomato go to. It’s light but filling and soso very quick to make. One bowl, some stale, crusty bread and I promise you, you’ll be groaning with pleasure with every single mouthful. Hmm a NSFW recipe?
I’ve also used 2 large cloves of garlic in this recipe. If you don’t like garlic you should probably step away now because without it, this herb and lemon tomato salad just wouldn’t be the same. You can reduce it to one clove because two IS quite potent. BUT. If you love garlic then I guarantee this is going to become your go to tomato recipe as well!
If you make any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
Herb and Lemon Tomato Salad
prep: 10 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 10 mins / quantity: 2 - 4 portions (2 as a main, 4 as a side)
- 4 tblsp oil - I've used olive and avocado and they both taste great
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 lemon - juice and grated zest
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp mustard of choice - I like dijon or wholegrain for this but it's up to you!
- 4 cups (600g) tomatoes - I used Heirloom baby plum tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion - peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tblsp mixed seeds
- handful each of fresh herbs - I used flatleaf parsley, chives and basil - finely chopped or shredded
- 1-2 bread rolls or slices of thick crusty bread - this is a great way to use up any stale bread
- Into a large bowl put the oil, vinegar, lemon zest and juice, crushed garlic and mustard and give a quick whisk
- Halve the tomatoes (or dice if using larger tomatoes) and add to the bowl along with the red onion, mixed seeds and chopped fresh herbs
- Break or chop the bread into chunks and add to the bowl. Give everything a good stir together and serve
- This salad also keeps well for a couple of days in an airtight container in the fridge
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword