Posted in Recipes on 22.08.2018
Baked Rice Pudding with Roasted Fruits
prep: 15 mins / cook: 1 hour 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 45 mins / quantity: 4 servings Print recipe?
This vegan baked rice pudding recipe is an adaptation of a dessert I used to serve in my pastry chef days at Chewton Glen. Each fruit was roasted individually and flambeed with its appropriate alcohol – Poire William for pear, calvados for apple, kirsch for cherries etc. It was then served in a delicate handmade pastry ‘bowl’ with an equally delicate pastry spoon and a scoop of freshly made ice-cream.
Who at home has time for all that faff??!
However, I still remember how good it tasted so rather than a delicate pastry bowl (read far too flipping easily broken) I thought I’d use another of my all time favourite comfort desserts – baked rice pudding. But a vegan version, naturally sweetened with the truly wonderful stuff that is Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup. Think all the sweetness of honey or maple syrup but made from just natural fruit extracts. It’s also free from all 14 major food allergens.
Here I’ve used it in both the pudding itself and to add a little extra sticky sweetness to the very seasonal fruits. One of the beauties of this recipe is you can use whatever fruits you have to hand and/or whatever’s right in season. Currently it’s strawberries, nectarines and plums. Three of my all time favourite fruits with the addition of a few orange segments for some extra zing! Not sure how to segment an orange – here’s a great video!
I can’t think of many better flavour and texture combinations than rich, creamy rice pudding and sweet sweet fruit. And the smell of all of this while it’s cooking. Literal heaven in all it’s sweet fruity glory.
If you make any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
Baked Rice Pudding with Roasted Fruits
prep: 15 mins / cook: 1 hour 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 45 mins / quantity: 4 servings
- 3 cups (750ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup (75g) Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (100g) arborio risotto rice
- knob of dairy free spread - I used Vitalite
- 1 orange - segmented (see note)
- 4 plums - stone removed and thickly sliced
- 6 strawberries - stalk removed and halved or quartered if very large
- 1 nectarine - stone removed and thickly sliced
- 1 tblsp Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup
- Large baking dish
- Preheat your oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4
- Brush the dairy free spread around the inside of your baking dish and set aside
- In a bowl or jug whisk together the almond milk, Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup, nutmeg and vanilla then pour into your buttered dish
- Sprinkle in the rice and put in the oven for 45 minutes. Carefully take the dish out of the oven, give it a good stir the rice then put back in the oven for another 45 minutes
- About 30 minutes before the rice is finished cooking prepare the fruit then put into a small frying pan along with the Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup
- Cook gently over a low heat until starting to soften and warmed through, stirring or tossing occasionally - be gentle though, you don't want mashed fruit!
- When the rice is cooked spoon into serving bowls and top with the warm fruit
Some products I used in today's post...
Mason Cash Collection Fine Stoneware Rectangular Baking and Serving Dish, Ceramic, White, 23 x 14 x 5 cm
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Christmas Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword