Posted in Recipes on 22.08.2018
Baked Rice Pudding
prep: 15 mins / cook: 1 hour 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 45 mins / quantity: 4 servings Print recipe?
Why Baked Rice Pudding?
Ah-ha, that old question – I get asked that at least once a week 😜!
Basically, there are two very different versions of Rice Pudding. Firstly, One version of rice pudding is made in a saucepan and is very similar to a Rice pudding pot, it’s thick, soft and tasty. Secondly, there is the Traditional British Rice Pudding, it never goes out of style, it’s delicious, tasty and is unquestionably guaranteed to satisfy!
Above all, its so very straightforward to make, and particularly, if you’ve already got the oven on for some baking or to cook something tasty for dinner you can just put this right in there and leave it until its cooked!
The Origins of this Rice Pudding Recipe
This vegan baked rice pudding recipe is an adaptation of a dessert I used to serve in my pastry chef days at Chewton Glen. Each fruit gets roasted individually and then flambéed with its appropriate alcohol – Poire William for pear, calvados for apple, kirsch for cherries etc. It is then served in a delicate handmade pastry ‘bowl’ with an equally delicate pastry spoon and a scoop of freshly made ice-cream.
Because, after all, who has time for all that faff??!
Rice pudding in the oven?
Yes! Thats one of the things that makes this recipe so special. Simply grease a baking dish, mix your almond milk, Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup, nutmeg and vanilla then pour into your buttered dish. Sprinkle in the rice and leave it the heck alone for a while. Such a simple recipe and one of those dishes that makes you make all kinds of noises when you eat it! Its also expands in your belly to leave you super satisfied.
Funny Story. Our friend “Big Pete” once ate many, many bowls of this just before a long journey home. Halfway home he hit the Rice Pudding Wall as it expanded and he actually called us to complain! After that he always wears stretchy pants when he visits! So, if you’re looking for a super tasty and filling dessert, look no further.
Toppings for Rice Pudding
One of the beauties of this Rice Pudding recipe is you can top it off with whatever fruits you have to hand and/or whatever’s right in season. For us, currently it’s strawberries, nectarines and plums. Three of my all time favourite fruits with the addition of a few orange segments for some extra zing! Not sure how to segment an orange – here’s a great video!
We’ve added the truly wonderful stuff that is Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup, I’ve used it in both the pudding itself and to add a little extra sticky sweetness to the very seasonal fruits. All the sweetness of honey or maple syrup but made from just natural fruit extracts. It’s also free from all 14 major food allergens.
There is no better flavour and texture combinations than rich, creamy rice pudding and sweet sweet fruit. And the smell of all of this while it’s cooking. Literal heaven in all it’s sweet fruity glory.
If you make this Baked Rice Pudding, or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees that we’ll see your picture! ❤)
Baked Rice Pudding
prep: 15 mins / cook: 1 hour 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 45 mins / quantity: 4 servings
- 3 cups (750ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup (75g) Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (100g) arborio risotto rice
- knob of dairy free spread – I used Vitalite
- Large baking dish
Optional Roasted Fruit Topping
- 1 orange – segmented (see note)
- 4 plums – stone removed and thickly sliced
- 6 strawberries – stalk removed and halved or quartered if very large
- 1 nectarine – stone removed and thickly sliced
- 1 tblsp Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup
- Preheat your oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4
- Brush the dairy free spread around the inside of your baking dish and set aside
- In a bowl or jug whisk together the almond milk, Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup, nutmeg and vanilla then pour into your buttered dish
- Sprinkle in the rice and put in the oven for 45 minutes. Carefully take the dish out of the oven, give it a good stir the rice then put back in the oven for another 45 minutes
- About 30 minutes before the rice is finished cooking prepare the fruit then put into a small frying pan along with the Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup
- Cook gently over a low heat until starting to soften and warmed through, stirring or tossing occasionally - be gentle though, you don't want mashed fruit!
- When the rice is cooked spoon into serving bowls and top with the warm fruit
Some products I used in today's post...
Mason Cash Collection Fine Stoneware Rectangular Baking and Serving Dish, Ceramic, White, 23 x 14 x 5 cm
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Fresh Spring Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword