Posted in Recipes on 12.07.2018
Tomato Pearl Barley Risotto
prep: 10 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 30 mins / quantity: 2 generous servings Print recipe?
With summer in full swing here in the UK we’ve mostly been about salad, salad, salad. And anything else that doesn’t involve turning the oven on. There may have even been a lounge picnic (or three) because I burn just by looking at the weather forecast. Freckle city my friends.
But as much as I do honestly love salad and all its incarnations – even had it for lunch today with these spicy baked beans – sometimes, and despite the heat, I still occasionally fancy hot food.
Enter the one pan risotto. Yay for minimal washing up! ?
Just saute some vegetables, add everything else then stir and simmer for 20 minutes for something utterly delicious, hearty and filling without making you feel like you’re full of lead!
And pearl barley is not only very tasty, but as one of the increasingly popular whole grains, it’s also pretty good for you. It’s one of the oldest consumed grains in the world and full of fibre and heart healthy antioxidants.
Cooked with veggies, herbs and a tiny bit of coconut sugar to really help bring out the tomatoey flavour this is definitely one I’ll be making again and again ?
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Tomato Pearl Barley Risotto
prep: 10 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 30 mins / quantity: 2 generous servings
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 red onion – peeled and finely diced
- 1 red pepper – pips removed and flesh cut into strips
- 4 cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
- 1 cup (150g) pearl barley – rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500ml) passata
- 2 tblsp tomato puree
- 4 sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tblsp coconut sugar
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary – needles only, finely chopped (or sub with 1 tsp dried rosemary)
- 10 cherry tomatoes – halved
- few fresh basil leaves – shredded
- salt and pepper
- large frying pan with fitting lid
- In a large frying pan saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in a drizzle of olive oil over a medium heat until softened and the onion turns lightly translucent
- Add the pearl barley, passata, 1 cup (250ml) water, tomato puree, sun dried tomatoes, coconut sugar and rosemary and stir well
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (careful of the steam when removing the lid to stir!)
- Mix in the cherry tomatoes and basil leaves and bubble for a further minute to warm the tomatoes through
- Check seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary
- I've put this serves 2 generously - and I mean generous! If you want to serve with bread or a salad it will easily serve 3-4. But we were very hungry the first time I made this and ate the lot between just the two of us ??
- I've also made this and had it cold the next day and it's just as delicious!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Quick and Easy Meals
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword