Posted in Recipes on 18.04.2018
Pesto and Tomato Stuffed Mushrooms
prep: 20 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 40 mins / quantity: 2 portions Print recipe?
If you’ve never made your own pesto then folks, I strongly urge you to give it a try. If, like me, you thought the shop bought stuff was ok (and to be fair it’s pretty decent when you’re rushed) then I promise your mouth will thank you for making your own. My goodness, the flavour! You can still go ahead and buy puff pastry though, not making that yourself is a given.
I made 4 of these stuffed mushrooms intending to have two then put the extra two in the fridge for another time. Well that didn’t happen. I ate two then got right back up and put the other two on my plate and ate those as well. And I didn’t even feel a little bit guilty about it.
Phil doesn’t like tomatoes so I didn’t need to feel bad about not saving any for him. And it’s vegetables! Pretty much nothing else other than a smidge of oil, a dust of nutritional yeast and a sprinkle of those amazing camelina seeds.
This recipe makes a little more pesto than you need to fill the mushrooms (unless you literally ladle it in) but don’t worry – you’ll want to be spreading or spooning it on everything. In fact this whole flavour combination was SO delicious it makes the perfect quick lunch of spreading the pesto on some crusty toasted bread and topping with raw tomatoes. Lunch heaven.
Oh and when I say Phil doesn’t like tomatoes I mean tomatoes as tomatoes. But his favourite soup is tomato and he’ll eat marinara pizza till the cows come home ? Anyone else have/put up with these food ‘isms’??
Here are some items I used in today’s post:
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him ❤
If you make these Pesto and Tomato Stuffed Mushrooms, or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! )
Pesto and Tomato Stuffed Mushrooms
prep: 20 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 40 mins / quantity: 2 portions
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (approximately 2 large handfuls)
- 1/2 lemon – juice
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 medium cloves garlic – peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tblsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup oil – avocado and olive both work great – we love Hunter & Gather Avocado Oil
- 20 cherry tomatoes – halved
- 1 tblsp Hodmedods Camelina Seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Food processor – we use a Kenwood Compact 1.4 litre
- Start with the pesto - put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until very well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6
- Put the mushrooms onto a medium ovenproof dish or baking tray, cup side up
- Mix the cherry tomatoes with the camelina seeds and a few grinds of pepper
- Put a generous spoonful of pesto into each mushroom, pushing it out to fill the bottom of each cup then top with the cherry tomatoes, packing them in generously
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the mushrooms are soft
- Serve with a crisp salad (and maybe some crusty bread to mop up the extra juices!)
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Fresh Spring Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword