Posted in Recipes on 08.08.2018
Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
prep: 20 mins / cook: 1 hour 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 50 mins / quantity: 8 - 10 slices Print recipe?
Of all the vegan chocolate banana bread recipes in the world, what makes this one special?
Well first of all it just works. This vegan banana bread is also super easy to make, healthy, moist and rich in chocolate thanks to the raw cacao powder and divinely dark vegan chocolate chips.
I can’t count how many times I’ve made banana bread. All incarnations. With chocolate. Without chocolate. Cinnamon swirl. Dark chocolate. White chocolate. But THIS .. this Vegan Banana Bread recipe was dubbed the BEST Phil had ever tasted. And he’s tasted a LOT. So you should really value his opinion.
What also makes this one even more extra special is a quite magical ingredient called chia seeds. We’ve been using them for a while now and other than finding them in your teeth for the rest of the day they’re an amazing little seed – full of fibre, protein and omega 3 fatty acids (good for your joints, brain and heart).
And now they’re being grown and and sold for the first time in the UK – lowering our carbon footprint for this tiny nutritional powerhouse! You can read ALL about the journey from seed to, well, seed right here in Phil’s first ever blog post ❤
We’ve also got dairy free dark chocolate and rich raw cacao powder (LOVE this stuff) for a bit of antioxidant oomph and absolutely divine flavour and texture. This vegan banana bread is not only double chocolatey it’s soft and moist and naturally sweet and we ate the whole thing, just the two of us, in a couple of days. Good times ?
If you make this Vegan Banana Bread (or any of our other recipes!) we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram , Facebook or Twitter for even more recipe inspiration and chat, competitions, behind the scenes and so much more!
Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
prep: 20 mins / cook: 1 hour 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 50 mins / quantity: 8 - 10 slices
- 1/4 cup (40g) coconut oil
- 2 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 1 + 3/4 cups ( 250g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tblsp (40g) Hodmedods Chia Seeds
- 3 large bananas – the riper the better!
- 1/2 cup (90g) coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (100g) dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 1 large banana
- 1 tblsp coconut sugar
- Loaf tin – 23 x 13cm (9 x 5 inches)
- Preheat your oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4. I also brush my tin with a little oil and dust with flour as well as lay a piece of parchment inside as it's an old tin and losing its non-stick! This also helps when lifting the loaf out of the tin!
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside to cool while you prepare everything else
- Mix the ground flax seeds with 1/3 cup (80ml) cold water to make a 'flax egg' and set those aside too
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, bicarb and chia seeds
- Peel the bananas and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher till mostly mushed but some lumps are perfectly ok ?
- Add the coconut sugar, almond milk, vinegar, flax egg and melted coconut oil to the banana and whisk together
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients and the chocolate chips to the large bowl of wet ingredients and stir everything together with a rubber spatula or large spoon until very well mixed. Scrape up from the bottom so that no lumps of flour remain
- Tip into you prepared loaf tin
- For the optional topping simply peel a banana and cut in half lengthways then lay on top of the cake mixture. Gently push the banana in to slightly submerge it. Sprinkle with a little coconut sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes - 1 hour 30 minutes. Test the cake with a skewer or long toothpick (you need to go quite deep into the cake). If the skewer comes out clean - no raw mixture still clinging to it - the cake is cooked and can be left out of the oven. Otherwise return the cake to the oven and cook until the skewer does come out clean
- Allow to cool in the tin for around 15 minutes before lifting out onto a wire rack and cooling completely. Store in an airtight container
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Healthy Veganuary Favourites
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword