Vegan Banana Bread
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 90 mins | Total: 110 mins | Quantity: 8 - 10 slices
- Preheat your oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4. I also brush my tin with a little oil and dust with flour as well as lay a piece of parchment inside as it's an old tin and losing its non-stick! This also helps when lifting the loaf out of the tin!
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside to cool while you prepare everything else
- Mix the ground flax seeds with 1/3 cup (80ml) cold water to make a 'flax egg' and set those aside too
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, bicarb and chia seeds
- Peel the bananas and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher till mostly mushed but some lumps are perfectly ok ?
- Add the coconut sugar, almond milk, vinegar, flax egg and melted coconut oil to the banana and whisk together
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients and the chocolate chips to the large bowl of wet ingredients and stir everything together with a rubber spatula or large spoon until very well mixed. Scrape up from the bottom so that no lumps of flour remain
- Tip into you prepared loaf tin
- For the optional topping simply peel a banana and cut in half lengthways then lay on top of the cake mixture. Gently push the banana in to slightly submerge it. Sprinkle with a little coconut sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes - 1 hour 30 minutes. Test the cake with a skewer or long toothpick (you need to go quite deep into the cake). If the skewer comes out clean - no raw mixture still clinging to it - the cake is cooked and can be left out of the oven. Otherwise return the cake to the oven and cook until the skewer does come out clean
- Allow to cool in the tin for around 15 minutes before lifting out onto a wire rack and cooling completely. Store in an airtight container
Recipe by The Cook & Him at https://www.thecookandhim.com/recipes/vegan-banana-bread/