Posted in Recipes on 31.07.2018
Peanut Butter and Apple Pupcakes
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 24 mini muffins Print recipe?
In the wonderful world of blogging and social media I’ve met some of the honest to goodness BEST people. Whether there’s a connection through the love of food or animals (or both!) I’ve got to know quite a few people well enough that I now consider them friends. Even though there’s often miles, oceans and continents separating us.
When I’m making treats for Ms Meg I normally make lots – some for the freezer and some for our doggie friends.
But when that doggie friend is an ocean away, just the recipe has to make do!
The lovely Three Ladies of Lex were celebrating a birthday and wanted to adapt one of our normal recipes so we could virtually join in the celebrations – told you, the BEST people. I’ve had this Peanut Butter and Apple Pupcakes recipe on the back burners for a while as I’d just not got round to sorting out a frosting for it. Yep it’s gilding the lily. Nope Meg doesn’t care if they’re frosted or not. Yep I decorated them 100% completely for me, not for her. Yep, every dog should wear a party hat no matter whose birthday it is.
Aren’t they just the most adorable?! We have ..
Lexi: sorority sister cavvie and birthday girl
Layla: middle child GSD
Minnie: blind ride or die toy poodle
Since these photos were taken the beautiful Kween Minnie has sadly passed. Her personality shone through the love of her dog momma. She was THE sassiest tiny button of a thing and the world went a little darker the day she left it. Another sister has joined their fold though, Keisha. A rescue from a puppy farm who has blossomed into this hilarious little unicorn since finding such a loving family. The BEST dogs and the BEST people.
This recipe makes LOTS of mini pupcakes. Meg is only a little dog even if she does have the appetite of a St Bernard. So you can make mini pupcakes or normal sized pupcakes, the choice is yours. Because we had so many though, Meg reluctantly agreed to share with another Lovely Lexi …
LOOK AT THAT CHIN!! Lady Lexi aka Smoosh Face / Marshmallow Girl. Love love LOVE her!
If you make any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
Peanut Butter and Apple Pupcakes
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 24 mini muffins
- 2 organic free range medium eggs
- 3/4 cup (170g) plain yoghurt
- 2 tblsp honey
- 1/3 cup (90g) smooth sugar free peanut butter (see **note**)
- 1 large apple
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (150g) plain wholemeal flour
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tblsp cream cheese
- 2 tblsp smooth sugar free peanut butter (see **note**)
- 24 dog chocolate drops
- Preheat the oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4 and line a 24 cup mini muffin tin with mini muffin cases (too many 'm's!)
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk in the yoghurt honey and peanut butter till smooth
- Grate the apple (but don't include the core or seeds, just discard those) add to the bowl and stir together
- Stir in the cinnamon, flour and baking powder
- Spoon into your mini muffin cases, filling them well
- Bake for 25 minutes until risen, golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean
- Leave to cool for a couple of minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you're not planning on using all the muffins reasonably soon, freeze them in batches once completely cooled
- Once cooled beat together the cream cheese and peanut butter and either spoon or pipe onto the muffins. Top with a chocolate drop
- Go and spoil your pup! ??
- **IMPORTANT NOTE** Lots of peanut butters include sweetener, particularly Xylitol which is toxic to dogs. Make sure to use a brand of peanut butter that doesn't include any form of sweetener. Many thanks to one of our newsletter subscribers for this information ?
- You could make normal sized muffins rather than mini ones, just make in exactly the same way and fill the larger muffin cases quite well too. They may need a little longer to cook than the smaller ones though - check by inserting a toothpick into the centre of a muffin and if it comes out clean with no cake raw mixture clinging to it they're done!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword