Posted in Recipes on 04.12.2017
prep: 15 mins / cook: 40 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 55 mins / quantity: 20 - 25 portions (as a topping!) Print recipe?
OH.MY.GOD .. this was the response from my Chief Taste Tester when he tried this. We eat a LOT of oats in this house. Porridge is often on the dinner ‘menu’. Not just any old porridge. Thick and creamy made with almond milk, sweetened with nutty maple syrup, spiced with cinnamon, topped with banana and always – ALWAYS – finished off with some kind of homemade granola.
There is genuinely not a single week goes past where there isn’t some flavour or other of granola in our bread bin. Yes we keep granola in old ice-cream tubs in our bread bin. We’re classy like that. There’s this Peanut Butter one and there’s a Chocolate and Hazelnut one in the works.
So being seasonal ‘n all that – here’s a Gingerbread Granola. There’s warming spices, toasted pecan nuts, oats and of course those wonderful little quinoa puffs from Hodmedods. Have you ever tried them? They’re sorta like rice krispies, only better! They have a wonderful crunchy texture and nutty, every so slightly sweet taste and give this granola a real lift with their extra crunch!
If you’ve not heard of Hodmedods before I urge you to grab a cup of something and have a good look round their website. They work with wonderful British farmers to source and produce a range of pulses and grains. They’re particularly interested in searching out less well-known foods, like the fava bean – grown in Britain since the Iron Age but now almost forgotten – and black badger peas. I’ve been lucky enough to try quite a few of their ingredients recently and I’m a total believer in if you want something to taste the best then you have to use the best ingredients. And everything I’ve used of theirs is THE BEST. Hand on heart. Pinky swear.
So this granola gets THE highest recommendation. Chief Taste Tester approves. I can retire happy now.
If you make these Gingerbread Granola or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
prep: 15 mins / cook: 40 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 55 mins / quantity: 20 - 25 portions (as a topping!)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup Hodmedods Quinoa Puffs
- 1 cup pecan nuts
- 1/2 cup coconut oil – melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tblsp almond milk
- 3 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 dates – stone removed and roughly chopped
- Heat your oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4. Line 1 large or 2 smaller baking trays with greaseproof or silicon mats
- Into a large bowl tip the oats and quinoa puffs. Just using your hands, roughly crush the pecan nuts and add those too to the bowl along with the ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Give everything a good stir
- To the melted coconut oil add the maple syrup and almond milk then pour that over your dry ingredients. Stir very well till all the oats and puffs are evenly coated with the liquid
- Tip this mixture out onto your tray(s) then spread out evenly
- Pop the tray in the oven for 20 minutes, bring the tray out, giving the mixture a good stir - bring the mixture on the outer edge of the tray into the centre and push the mixture in the middle of the tray out to the edge
- Put back in the oven for a further 20 minutes
- Remove the tray from the oven, leave to cool completely then stir through the dates. I use my hands for this as the dates are usually quite sticky and use the granola to 'rub' them apart
- Store in a lidded container for around 2 weeks
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Summer Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword