Posted in Recipes on 26.02.2019
Best Vegan Brownies Recipe
prep: 20 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 55 mins / quantity: 15-18 squares Print recipe?
The best vegan brownies recipe – big claim right?
Above all, I’d like to point out that I did a LOT of research before making these particular vegan brownies. I wanted something that not only looked like a brownie, but had the taste and texture of ooey gooey brownie. The kind that sticks to your teeth as you eat it for example. Brownie shouldn’t really be light and airy however, Firstly, it should be dense, fudgy and decadent. Secondly, It should be on the cusp of too chocolatey. Thirdly it should leave you feeling like you know you’ve eaten brownie and finally, and definitely most importantly, it should be chocolate piled on top of more chocolate. And I wanted it all from a vegan brownies recipe.
There are such things as healthier brownies however, I’ve even made a couple:
Chocolate and Blackcurrant Brownies – the fruit gives a lovely contrast to the rich chocolate. Using oats and almonds gives them a chewy rather than dense texture
Gluten Free Brownies – spiked with orange and topped with rich frosting, these were so so good
In my research I found many a vegan brownies recipe that used all kinds of things – sweet potato, black beans, avocado. But I wanted a brownies brownie. No fuss, no frills, no drama and no veg. Just straight up vegan chocolate brownies.
Wasn’t actually sure I could achieve that without butter or eggs to be honest. And the first batch I under-cooked almost to the point of inedible in my desperation to have that fudgy quality of a bona-fide brownie. That was the day the Gas Man came. With the house smelling of brownie that I couldn’t offer him a taste of. His poor sad face as he left.
I say almost inedible because a certain hollow-legged someone still managed to eat about 1/3 of it by nibbling off the semi-cooked bits round the edges.
But the Brownie Gods were smiling on me for batch #2 of these vegan chocolate brownies.
They stuck to my teeth. They were full on in your face CHOCOLATE. And they made me cry a little when Phil took them to work because we *probably* shouldn’t really be eating a whole tray of vegan brownies between just the two of us.
If you make these Best Vegan Brownies Recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Best Vegan Brownies Recipe
prep: 20 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 55 mins / quantity: 15-18 squares
- 2 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 1 + 1/4 cups (200g) dark dairy free chocolate
- 1/3 cup (60) coconut butter
- 1 + 1/3 cups (215g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (30g) raw cacao powder
- 1 cup (160g) golden caster sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6. Use a little vegan spread to brush the inside of a 7 x 11 (18 x 28 cm) brownie tin then coat with flour, tapping out the excess. I also lay a piece of cut parchment in the base of the tin as this makes it SO much easier getting the brownie out!
- In a small bowl or mug put the ground flax seeds with 1/3 cup (85 ml) of cold water. Mix well and set aside
- Melt the chocolate with the coconut butter in the microwave or over a bain-marie (a heatproof dish set over a pan of barely simmering water)
- In a large bowl sift together the plain flour, baking powder and raw cacao powder
- Stir in the caster sugar
- Tip in the melted chocolate mixture, flax and water and almond milk and whisk together to form a sturdy batter
- Pour into the prepared tin, smoothing out to the edges. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly across the top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes then leave to cool in the tin
- Once cooled, use a knife to ease the brownie away from the edge of the tin before lifting out, then cut into squares and store in an airtight container
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Summer Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword