Posted in Recipes on 09.05.2018
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Orange Brownies
prep: 30 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 60 mins / quantity: 15 squares Print recipe?
Are you in the frosted or unfrosted brownies camp? Me, well I’ll take brownies any which way they’re given to me! But having posted another brownie recipe just the other week I wanted to try something a little different this time. I’m also not much of a brownie purist. Sure there are few things better than an unadulterated ooey gooey brownie. But Phil and I love our ‘superfoods’. We also love Doisy & Dam and their truly super range of superfood infused chocolate. They’re also a pretty cool bunch of people.
Now these brownies aren’t for the faint hearted. We’re talking seriously chocolatey, gooey, rich and truly decadent. There’s a little bit of healthy goodness in there – no refined sugar and cholesterol free nut milk.
Traditionally, brownies can be made with either chocolate or cocoa or both. I prefer both and more specifically raw cacao powder rather than cocoa powder. It has SUCH an intense chocolate flavour, slightly bitter as there’s no added fats or sugars but gives incredible richness to anything it’s added to. There are very few days I’m not adding it into something – muffins, smoothies, chia pudding, pancakes, baked oats, granola, cookies! Mix it with a little bit of coconut oil and maple syrup and you have a soft set chocolate impersonator that makes a great topping for home-made bars or warm it up for a drippy chocolate sauce!
As for the frosting for these ridiculously delicious brownies – just 4 ingredients and zero faff. More of the amazing Doisy & Dam chocolate, more rich raw cacao powder, vegan spread (I used Vitalite – it’s soft, creamy and has quite the buttery flavour) and a dash of maple syrup to sweeten things up a little ?
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Orange Brownies
prep: 30 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 60 mins / quantity: 15 squares
- 1 x 80g bar Doisy & Dam Goji and Orange Chocolate
- 2 tblsp coconut oil
- 2 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1 orange - grated zest only
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- 40g Doisy & Dam Goji and Orange Chocolate - melted
- 1 cup dairy free spread (I used Vitalite - it's a soft set like margarine)
- 1 tblsp raw cacao powder
- 1-2 tblsp maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 F / Gas 6 and line a 24cm x 18cm (9 x 7 inch) baking tray with parchment, covering the base and sides
- Break the chocolate into chunks and melt along with the coconut oil in a microwave or over a bain-marie (a small dish set over a barely simmering pan of water)
- While that's melting mix the ground flax seeds with 5 tblsp water in a mug and set aside
- Next put the oats into a food processor or blender and whizz until you have a fairly fine flour
- Tip the ground oats into a large bowl along with the ground almonds, baking powder, cacao powder, coconut sugar, goji berries and orange zest. Stir until well mixed
- Stir in the melted chocolate mixture, the coconut yoghurt and the flax egg and mix everything together lightly but thoroughly
- Pour into your prepared tray and bake for 30 minutes. Don't worry if it seems quite soft, it will firm up as it cools
- Cool completely before spreading over the frosting
- To make the frosting simply whisk or beat together the melted dairy free spread, melted chocolate, raw cacao powder and maple syrup
- Thickly spread the frosting over the cooled brownie, pushing it out to the edges until the brownie is completely covered - I've left the brownie in the tin up to this point
- Use the parchment to lift the brownie out of the tray then cut into squares. Store in the fridge in an airtight container
Some products I used in today's post...
Raw Organic Cacao Powder (500g) | Highest Quality Available | Certified Organic by the Soil Association | By MySuperfoods
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Christmas Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword