Posted in Recipes on 10.04.2019
Vegan Scrambled Eggs
prep: 10 mins / cook: 10 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 20 mins / quantity: 2 portions Print recipe?
High in protein and full of flavour, these vegan scrambled eggs are a perfect breakfast alternative!
To be honest, eggs as eggs were never really a favourite of mine. I didn’t mind a boiled egg but was never overly fond of fried or poached eggs. I did however love scrambled eggs. Phil is a bona-fide Full English breakfast lover and I’ve been trying to make as much of it as vegan as possible. There are some amazing sausage alternatives – thank you Linda M and No Porkies! These Spicy Baked Beans are better than anything out of a tin. And mushrooms and tomatoes are a given. ‘Fake’ bacon has never really lived up to expectation – it’s often flimsy and an odd texture. But I don’t miss bacon at all – contrary to the popular vegan stereotyping 😉 However, a cooked breakfast always felt like it was missing eggs. Enter the mini miracle that is vegan scrambled eggs.
Technically it’s not eggs of course. Vegan scrambled eggs is basically just tofu, mashed up a bit to resemble the texture of scrambled eggs. And while tofu is pretty much tasteless in flavour it is great at absorbing all the flavours you put it with. In this case some veggies for flavour (and healthy stuff), nutritional yeast also for flavour and turmeric for that amazing yellow colour. Because white vegan scrambled eggs would look rather blah!
There is one more, semi-secret, ingredient in these vegan scrambled eggs.
A pinch of black salt. What’s so super special and secret about salt you might ask. Himalayan black salt to be specific. It starts out as pink salt which is then heated to extremely high temperatures and mixed with the seeds of the harad fruit which gives it that distinctive sulphur (or eggy) flavour. It reminds me of umami flavour and combined with the texture of scrambled tofu you have the perfect egg substitute!
I could not get over just how like scrambled eggs these were. It was definitely a vegan breakfast eureka moment!
Of all the vegan tofu recipes I’ve worked on lately this one was the most revelatory! Texture and taste were just perfect, the spices were gentle and warming, the veggies added depth of flavour and it all came with a good dose of lean vegan protein! Great news for the chickens, our health and anyone transitioning to a vegan lifestyle! I predict lots of vegan scrambled eggs in our breakfast future 😉
If you make these Vegan Scrambled Eggs or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! )
Vegan Scrambled Eggs
prep: 10 mins / cook: 10 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 20 mins / quantity: 2 portions
- 1 cup (190g) firm tofu
- 2-3 spring onions
- 1/2 bell pepper – any colour, I just prefer the slightly sweeter flavour of red bell peppers
- drizzle of oil
- 2-3 tblsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- large pinch Himalayan black salt (see note)
- large handful of baby spinach leaves (remove any thick, tough stalks)
- salt and pepper
- Drain the water from the tofu, gently pat dry with some kitchen towel, put into a bowl and mash with a fork until you get a texture resembling scrambled eggs. Set aside
- Slice the spring onions into small rounds. Remove the stalk and seeds from the pepper and cut into small pieces
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a small frying pan and gently saute the onions and pepper until softened
- Add the mashed tofu, nutritional yeast, turmeric and black salt
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring well, making sure the tofu is well covered with the turmeric to give it that lovely egg yellow colour
- Taste and season - adding more black salt if you prefer a more eggy flavour as well as adding a pinch of normal salt and pepper
- Stir in the spinach and cook until it's wilted into the vegan scrambled eggs
- Serve immediately
- Only use the Himalayan black salt if you want to replicate the eggy flavour of scrambled eggs. Otherwise just season with normal salt
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Fresh Spring Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword