Posted in Recipes on 07.09.2018
Vegan Chocolate Cake with Kombucha
prep: 15 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 15 mins / quantity: 8 - 10 slices Print recipe?
Vegan chocolate cake that’s borderline healthy (well, as healthy as cake’s ever gonna be!)
Thanks to wonderful things like no refined sugar, raw cacao powder, dairy free dark chocolate and the currently super trendy kombucha this vegan chocolate cake is divinely decadent without being too bad for the hips. Or ass. Or boobs. Or whatever’s your ‘thing’.
Even the frosting is sorta healthy. And THE easiest frosting EVER. I swear it. It’s as simple as open and jar of Sweet Freedom Choc Pot and spread adoringly over the top of your vegan chocolate cake. It lends an extra level of chocolatiness with no nasties. Because that’s what Sweet Freedom is about – superbly sweet and chocolatey things without additives or chemical processing.
I’d also like talk about Kombucha – specifically Remedy Kombucha. Their long brewing methods ensure all the sugar is fermented out as well as being full of friendly bacteria, healthy organic acids and antioxidants. Remedy loves ya guts ? It’s brewed in small batches for 30 days, is vegan, non-alcholic, frutcose free and certified organic.
Wondering what kombucha is and why you should use it in a vegan chocolate cake?
Kombucha is what I’d describe as sparkling and quirky-tasting. It’s a little sour and reminds me of apple cider. It’s made from a base of either black or green tea that’s fermented with an acid and yeast culture. This fermentation process produces healthy bacteria which help colonise our gut and may improve a range of bodily functions from weight and food cravings to mood and stress levels.
I’ve used it in this vegan chocolate cake not just because it’s supposed to be good for our bodies but because it gives a wonderful flavour and moistness to the whole thing. This is truly divine cake that’s about as good for you as cake’s ever gonna get ❤
If you make this Vegan Chocolate Cake with Kombucha, or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
If you make these Vegan Chocolate Cake with Kombucha or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Vegan Chocolate Cake with Kombucha
prep: 15 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 15 mins / quantity: 8 - 10 slices
- 1 + 1/2 cups (170g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (120g) coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (60g) ground almonds
- 1/4 cup (25g) raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup (75g) dairy free dark chocolate – roughly chopped into smallish chunks (or you could use choc chips, I just wanted larger chunks to marble the cake!)
- 1 cup (225ml) Remedy Kombucha – Original Flavour
- 1/3 cup (65ml) oil – I used extra virgin olive oil but feel free to use what you prefer!
- 1 tblsp apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 tblsp Sweet Freedom Chocolate Pot
- Optional sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5
- Brush a little oil around the inside of an 8 inch (20 cm) loose bottomed or spring form cake tin and dust with flour, shaking out any excess
- Cut a round piece of parchment to fit the bottom of the tin and place inside (I just draw round the outside of the tin and cut a little inside the circle!)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and raw cacao powder
- Stir in the chopped chocolate chunks (or chips if using!)
- In a small bowl whisk together the kombucha, oil of choice and vinegar
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix together with a large rubber spatula until well combined
- Scrape into your prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour. Check after 45 minutes by inserting a cocktail stick or skewer into the centre of the cake - it will come out clean if the cake is cooked. If it doesn't return to the oven for another 15 or so minutes, testing the cake again
- Once cooked, leave to cool in the tin for around half an hour before removing from the tin onto a wire rack and leaving to cool completely
- Once completely cooled spread the chocolate frosting over the top of the cake and sprinkle with whatever you fancy!
- Enjoy ?
Some products I used in today's post...
Organic Cacao Powder (500g) | Highest Quality Available | Certified Organic by The Soil Association | by MySuperfoods
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Summer Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword