Posted in Recipes on 03.09.2018
Sauteed Veggies on Vegan Cheese Toast
prep: 10 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 25 mins / quantity: 2 servings Print recipe?
They’re so vibrant and full of flavour and give a beautiful contrast of texture and taste to the creamy vegan goat’s cheese and crusty toast. Speaking of vegan goat’s cheese, I’ve used the truly divine New Roots Free the Goat Cheeze. This is about as close to actual cheese as I’ve had the pleasure of sampling.
It’s thick, creamy and rich. And if cheese is your nemesis to giving up dairy then this is your answer. I just wish it were more widely available. Because then I’d be eating these sauteed veggies on vegan cheese toast a heck of a lot more!
The dish itself couldn’t be more simple – just pan fry the veggies with garlic and a dash of veg stock. The beauty is you can use whatever veggies are in season or you have to hand (or are your favourites!) Then just toast your bread, spread (very!) generously with the goat’s cheese and pile on those warm, tasty veggies. Simple, delicious food doesn’t get much better than this ❤
If you make these sauteed veggies on vegan cheese toast (or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him) we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
Sauteed Veggies on Vegan Cheese Toast
prep: 10 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 25 mins / quantity: 2 servings
- 1 cup (100g) baby carrots
- 1 red onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- drizzle of olive oil
- 40g (a small bunch) asparagus
- couple of handfuls of broccoli florets
- 1 cup (60g) button mushrooms (I've used button chestnut mushrooms but you could just dice larger mushrooms too)
- 1/2 red pepper - stalk and seeds removed then roughly sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup (60ml) veg stock
- salt and pepper
- 60g New Roots Vegan Goat's Cheese with Thyme and Lavender
- 4 slices thickly cut crusty bread
- camelina seeds or seed of choice
- Wash and remove any tough stalk from the baby carrots and cut in half if very thick. Put into a saucepan with boiling water and cook for 5 minutes until softened slightly. Drain and set aside
- Peel the onion and finely dice. Peel the garlic and crush then put into a large saute pan with the diced onion and a drizzle of olive oil
- Gently saute the onion and garlic, stirring frequently, for 1 minute then add the par-cooked carrots, the asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, pepper and veg stock
- Cover the pan with a lid and gently bubble over a medium heat for a further 5 minutes
- Remove the lid, turn the heat up and bubble rapidly for just a minute to evaporate any excess liquid. Add a pinch each of salt and pepper and stir
- Turn the heat off and put the lid back on
- Toast your slices of bread, generously spread each piece with the goats cheese then top with the sauteed veggies
- Optional: sprinkle with seeds - I love camelina seeds, they're nutty, crunchy and full of flavour but toasted sesame seeds or poppy seeds would be just as good!
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword