Posted in Recipes on 07.05.2019
Mini Vanilla and Banana Protein Cakes
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 mini cakes Print recipe?
These soft sponge protein cakes come with a generous boost of protein and a choice of three different toppings – sticky banana or chocolate protein spreads!
My oh my. Every time I’ve cooked anything with Grenade whey protein the smell is incredible. I SO wish they were vegan as all I can do is sniff. Phil loves all things Grenade though. Especially the Milk Chocolate and White Chocolate Cookie spreads which I’ve used to slather on top of these soft little protein cakes. I didn’t want to use them IN the cakes as the spreads themselves are quite thick (think Nutella consistency) and I wanted these mini cakes to be light and delicate. But they make the perfect quick and easy topping.
I did go an extra step and caramelise some bananas to put on top so that all that dribbly syrup oozes into these protein cakes.
AND I got to use the extra caramelised banana to top my porridge. Good times.
Phil has been using protein supplements for a while now since changing from cardio training at the gym to strength training with weights. We all need protein – and you can read all about why here – but trying to build muscle often means you need to increase your protein intake. Most of us can get more than sufficient protein from our food – even us vegans 😉 But Phil finds the protein powder shakes can get a bit repetitive so I try and use these whey protein supplements in baking.
That way he gets to satisfy his sweet tooth (and boy does he have a sweet tooth!) as well as share some of the protein love with his fellow gym goers!
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Mini Vanilla and Banana Protein Cakes
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 mini cakes
- 2 ripe bananas – the spottier the better!
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Grenade Banana Armour Shake
- 1/2 cup (90g) coconut sugar
- 2 scoops Grenade Killa Vanilla Hydra 6
- 2 cups (320g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
Toppings (see note):
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5 and grease a 12 hole mini loaf tin with spray oil, margarine or butter
- Peel the bananas and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or a potato masher
- Add the protein shake, coconut sugar and protein powder and whisk together until well mixed
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and use a rubber spatula to mix everything together, stirring up from the bottom of the bowl so that no flour 'pockets' remain
- Spoon the mixture evenly into your mini loaf tins and bake for 25 minutes until cooked. Check by using a skewer or cocktail stick inserted into the centre of one of the mini cakes - if it comes out clean with no raw mixture clinging to it, the cakes are done. If not, return to the oven for a few minutes until cooked
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before lifting out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- If you're topping with the caramelised bananas, peel and thickly slice the bananas and place into a large frying pan with the syrup and a small drizzle of oil. Cook them over a medium heat for a few minutes each side until golden and caramelised
- Carefully lift each slice out and lay on top of the mini cakes, drizzling over any extra syrup
- If you're topping with the spreads make sure the cakes are completely cooled before frosting
- Store the frosted cakes in an airtight container
- I used a variety of different toppings to mix and match but you can use just one of the toppings or try your own! The spreads make a very quick and easy frosting though!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Quick and Easy Meals
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword