Posted in Recipes on 25.03.2018
Leek and Mushroom Risotto
prep: 10 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 30 mins / quantity: 2 portions Print recipe?
This leek and mushroom risotto recipe came about as a quick meal for myself when Phil was away on one of his (thankfully) rare work based overnight trips. I’d got some leeks, some mushroom and some rice and not a whole lot else! And I was hungry. And there’s always the temptation when I’m ‘cooking’ for just me to resort to toast or cereal! But 30 minutes, one pan and just a couple of other ingredients and this now regular in our meal plan was born. Phil even enjoys making it himself now and will often be his *Phil’s Sunday Night Cooking Extravaganza* dish of choice!
And even though it’s vegan it’s still deliciously creamy thanks to New Roots vegan cheese. Here I’ve used their Free the Goat Cheeze with Thyme and Lavender which completely elevates the whole thing. This wonderfully herby, fragrant vegan cheese mixes so well with the woody, earthy mushrooms and sweet petit pois.
And the best news?? New Roots are now available in the UK!!
It really couldn’t be simpler to make – just some chopped vegetables gently sauteed together till softened then rice and veg stock added …
… then let sit and bubble away gently with just a few occasional stirs from you …
… before mixing through this divine cheese, tipping into a bowl and enjoying with nothing but a fork and your latest television tipple.
We’re currently on Grey’s Anatomy but almost finished – 14 series, over 300 episodes, I feel like Grey Sloane Memorial Hospital is my surrogate family now! Any what to watch next suggestions??
Here are some items I used for this Leek and Mushroom Risotto:
Leek and Mushroom Risotto
prep: 10 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 30 mins / quantity: 2 portions
- 2 leeks
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 300g closed cup mushrooms
- 2 large cloves garlic – crushed
- 150g easy cook long grain and wild rice mix
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 200g petit pois peas (fresh or frozen work perfectly!)
- 75g New Roots Free the Goat Cheeze with Thyme and Lavender
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel any tough or brown outer leaves from the leeks, split lengthways then thinly cut into half circles. Rinse well to remove any of the dirt that gets trapped in the layers and drain, shaking off any excess water
- In a large frying pan gently warm the olive oil then tip in all the leeks. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes till they start to soften, stirring occasionally
- While the leeks are cooking, halve the mushrooms then roughly slice
- When the leeks are starting to soften add the mushrooms and crushed garlic and saute for just a couple more minutes
- Tip in the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes
- Pour in the vegetable stock, stir well then leave to simmer till almost all the liquid is absorbed (around 15-20 minutes), stirring occasionally
- Stir in the petit pois peas just a minute or so before the liquid has all gone
- Once all the liquid is absorbed, stir in the vegan cheese and season to taste.
- Tip into 2 bowls, grab a fork and enjoy!
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Warming Winter Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword