If I thought the combination of halloumi cheese and camelina seeds was THE perfect combination I was sorta wrong. Because it’s equalled by the combination of the same camelina seeds (from the truly delightful company that is Hodmedods) but this time with wine roasted cherry tomatoes …
… and super creamy soft VEGAN goat’s cheese.
Yep, you read that right. VEGAN GOAT’S CHEESE. I’m using capitals because this is important. Cheese is the thing I’m really struggling to give up to be completely vegan. I don’t even remotely miss eating meat. I don’t notice the difference using unsweetened almond milk for everything you’d use cow’s milk for. And I’m very careful about what I use to clean my face/hair/clothes/house with.
But cheese? I’ve tried a few different vegan cheeses and they’re either very bland or very rubbery. Friends, let me introduce you to New Roots. This is THE ‘not actual cheese’ but tastes and, just as importantly, has the same texture as actual cheese. It has the look and feel of real bona fide artisan cheese. Can I get a hallelujah? 🙏
They’re also just about the loveliest people you could meet (their emails start with “Hello wonderful family” ❤) They’re also very new and working really really hard on bringing their cheese to the UK in early 2018. One to definitely keep an eye on!
Their tangy goat’s cheese is just a heavenly contrast to the red wine roasted cherry tomatoes with a sprinkle of nutty camelina seeds.
I swear, I’m actually drooling a little at the memory of these tomatoes. If you’ve never tried red wine roasted cherry tomatoes I suggest you change that really REALLY soon. I mean …
Go on, get a little closer …
Are ya licking the screen yet? 😜
These are another great little party nibble, so easy to prepare in advance and just slap together as your guests arrive. Unless you just want to eat them all yourself and not bother inviting anyone over. Totally not the kind of thing I’d do 😇
Cherry Tomato and Goat's Cheese Crostini
Yield 20 crostini
- Preheat the oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6
- Slice the baguette about 1cm thick, place flat on a baking tray in one layer, drizzle with a little olive oil over each slice then bake for 10-15 minutes. Keep and eye on them, you want them just golden but not burnt! Leave to cool completely
- Put the halved cherry tomatoes into a small bowl and gently toss with the oregano, olive oil, vinegar, red wine, camelina seeds, a few grinds of black pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt
- Tip into a baking dish or tin and roast for 20 minutes. You can use these warm or chilled - either is delicious!
- To serve, simply spread the goat's cheese on the crostini bases and top with a couple of halves of cherry tomatoes. Drizzle a little of the juice in the baking tin over each crostini too. Yum!