Posted in Recipes on 17.08.2018
Yellow Split Pea and Cauliflower Dhal
prep: 10 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 10 mins / quantity: 2 servings Print recipe?
Sunshine in a bowl right? This is so easy to make I’ve been having it at least 3 times a week for the last couple of weeks even though the weather has been draggingly warm and muggy. I get the giant pot of dhal cooking early, then it’s a quick re-heat and sizzle of some onions and tomatoes for a healthy, filling and truly satisfying lunch.
Satisfying because it ticks ALL the flavour and texture boxes. There’s still a little bite from the yellow split peas (another gorgeous ingredient from the wonderful people and UK farmers at Hodmedods). There’s creamy cauliflower as well as wonderful flavour and gentle spicing from garlic, ginger and turmeric.
Topped off with sticky sweet red onions and pops of cherry tomato and I think I’ll be eating this for a VERY long time to come!
If you make this Yellow Split Pea and Cauliflower Dhal, or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Yellow Split Pea and Cauliflower Dhal
prep: 10 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 10 mins / quantity: 2 servings
- 1 cup (200g) Hodmedod’s Yellow Split Peas
- 1 clove garlic – peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger – peeled and grated
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 2 cups (200g) cauliflower (fresh or frozen) – broken into small florets
- 1/2 cup (125ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1-2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 red onion – peeled and finely sliced
- handful cherry tomatoes – halved
- Give the split peas a rinse under cold water, drain and put into a medium non-stick saucepan along with the crushed garlic, grated fresh ginger and the vegetable stock
- Gently bubble over a medium heat for around 45 minutes till the peas are quite soft but still with a little bit of bite to them. Stir the pot frequently and top up with a bit of extra water if it starts to bubble dry. You don't want to end up with a stodgy lump but you don't want it too liquid either so just add a little bit of extra water as necessary!
- Add the cauliflower florets and almond milk and cook for a further 15 minutes, again stirring frequently
- While that's finishing off saute the peeled and sliced onion in a small pan until very soft and starting to caramelise, add the halved cherry tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes till warmed through
- Check the seasoning of the split peas and add salt and pepper to taste
- To serve put the dhal in a bowl and top with the onions and tomato. Enjoy!
- I use a non-stick saucepan when cooking anything like split peas or fava beans or the pan needs LOTS of soaking before washing up!
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Healthy Veganuary Favourites
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword