Posted in Recipes on 22.10.2019
Vegan Tomato Soup
prep: 15 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 15 mins / quantity: 4 portions Print recipe?
Thick, rich and delicious roasted tomato soup! Packed full of (hidden) veggie flavour and so simple to make – even the vegan cheesy croutons!
Good old tomato soup. It’s the soup of my childhood. The tinned variety of course. Dad liked to cook but it was more of an extravagant affair with many pans and usually a decadently indulgent Robert Carrier creation. Mum hated cooking. She excelled at re-heating and coleslaw. I’m not being mean as she’d be the first to admit it. And I miss her coleslaw.
So tinned soup it was. But these days I truly believe you can’t beat home-made anything. And this vegan soup recipe is about as simple as it gets.
The veg is roasted because it really does bring out the flavour of all those wonderful fresh vegetables. They’re all there for a reason and each has a part to play:
- Tomatoes – obvs.
- Garlic and onion – aromatic background flavour.
- Courgette – a nutrient dense food that should be included in everyone’s diet.
- Carrot – natural sweetness but also rich in vitamins, minerals and fibre.
- Celery – did you know celery is a member of the carrot family? It’s also rich in antioxidants and aids digestion.
How to make this vegan roasted tomato soup
Peel (where necessary) and roughly chop all the veggies, dump on a large tray with a drizzle of oil and some optional fresh thyme and pop in the oven for around an hour.
Then it’s a case of simply whizz all those beautifully roasted vegetables in a blender or good food processor with a bit of tomato puree and some vegetable stock for deliciously thick and unctuous soup. Comfort food of my childhood here we come.
Only made better by the addition of this genius idea from Love and Lemons. Vegan cheese on toast croutons. O.M.G.
This was actually a last minute addition as I was making bread for something else and Phil had bought a pack of Bute Island Foods vegan mozzarella to go in this Vegetable Lasagne he made at the weekend.
Totally worth it. Cheesy, tomato-ey food nirvana *crunch/slurp*
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Vegan Tomato Soup
prep: 15 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 15 mins / quantity: 4 portions
- 1 red onion – peeled
- 3-4 cloves garlic – peeled and very roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery – roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots – scrubbed or peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large courgette – roughly chopped
- 6 large (1.1kg) tomatoes – quartered
- drizzle of olive oil
- few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
- 2 tblsp tomato puree
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blender or good food processor – I used this Nutribullet
- 2-3 thick slices bread – I used this Oat Bread recipe
- handful grated vegan mozzarella
- 4 tsp coconut yoghurt
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line one large or two small baking/roasting trays with parchment or silicon mats
- Peel (where necessary) and chop all your vegetables and put onto your baking tray(s)
- Drizzle over a little olive oil and scatter over the fresh thyme sprigs
- Roast for 50-60 minutes until vegetables are soft and starting to slightly caramelise
- Carefully transfer to the jug of your blender or food processor. You might have to do this in a couple of batches
- Add the vegetable stock and tomato puree and whizz until smooth and thick
- Pour into a saucepan, taste for seasoning and gently heat through. Add a splash more water or vegetable stock if you like your soup a little thinner
- While that's warming, turn the grill on and toast one side of your bread. Turn over, scatter over the mozzarella and toast until bubbling. Cut into cubes
- Spoon the soup into your serving bowls, swirl in the coconut yoghurt if using then top with the croutons. Serve immediately
- The soup freezes really well so can be batch made in advance. Defrost, heat through thoroughly and add yoghurt and croutons to serve
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Quick and Easy Meals
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword