Posted in Recipes on 18.09.2018
Vegan Pasta Salad with Roasted Tomato Sauce
prep: 15 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 4 portions Print recipe?
Served cold this vegan pasta salad is a real crowd pleaser and lunch box favourite!
Roasting the tomatoes with veggies, garlic and herbs gives a wonderful depth of flavour to the sauce in this rich vegan pasta salad.
Anyone else cook enough pasta for an entire village when cooking pasta for the family? I swear it doubles in quantity in the pan.
But you know what that means … leftovers!! I usually go to town with the sauce too, cooking waaaay too much of it but the roasted tomato sauce that goes with this vegan pasta salad is perfect for scaling up and keeping in the freezer.
We’re coming to the end of the summer tomato season here in the UK right now. I was also lucky enough to be given some home grown tomatoes from Phil’s lovely boss at work (hi Fay ?). There’s absolutely nothing quite like the taste (and smell) of home grown tomatoes. It’s when it makes more sense that a tomato is classified as a fruit not a vegetable as these things are SO sweet and full of flavour you can eat them straight off the vine.
For this easy vegan pasta salad recipe though I’ve roasted them with gorgeous extra veggies – red onion, carrots, red pepper and garlic. Each one with their own unique flavour but perfectly complimenting the star of the show – the tomatoes. You could also serve this sauce and the pasta as a hot dish, no need to just keep it for leftovers or a cold lunch!
Those two dishes above are actually the same vegan pasta salad in this recipe but here’s the thing. Phil doesn’t like tomatoes. Well, not tomatoes as tomatoes anyway. Mushed up in a sauce or a soup and it’s one of his favourites. Give him an actual tomato and he’ll wrinkle his nose and push it back at you ? Anyone in your house have those kind of ‘isms’??
If you do love fresh tomatoes though …
Herb and Lemon Tomato Salad | Red Pepper and Tomato Soup with Roasted Cauliflower | Tomato Pearl Barley Risotto | Pesto and Tomato Stuffed Mushrooms | Cherry Tomato and Goat’s Cheese Crostini | Fava Bean Shakshuka | Marinara Sauce | Yellow Split Pea and Cauliflower Dhal | Courgette and Camembert Flat Bread Pizza
If you make this Vegan Pasta Salad or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
Vegan Pasta Salad with Roasted Tomato Sauce
prep: 15 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 4 portions
- 6 large (approx 950g) tomatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- good drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups (300g) tricolor fusilli pasta (or pasta shapes of your choice!)
- 2 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tblsp tomato puree
- 2 veg stock cubes
- 6 sun dried tomatoes - roughly diced
- 3 tblsp pine nuts
- a few fresh cherry tomatoes and basil sprigs
- Preheat your oven to 200 Fan / 220 C / 425 F / Gas 7 and line a large baking tray with a piece of parchment or a silicon mat
- Quarter the tomatoes and spread them out on the tray
- Scrub or peel the carrots and chop into bite sized chunks. Add to the tray
- Peel the onion and cut into quarters and add to the tray
- Remove the stalk and seeds from the pepper and cut into large(ish) chunks. Add these to the tray
- Peel the garlic and add to the tray
- Scatter over the fresh thyme sprigs, a good pinch each of salt and pepper and a good drizzle of olive oil. Give everything a quick mix together using your hands
- Put the tray in the oven and roast the veg for 25-30 minutes until the carrots are soft
- While they're cooking, fill a kettle and bring to the boil
- Put the pasta into a large saucepan with a very good pinch of salt and completely cover with the boiling water. Place over a low/medium heat and boil for 10 minutes
- Once cooked, drain and swill under cold water to prevent further cooking
- Put the pine nuts into a small frying pan and dry fry for 1-2 minutes, tossing frequently till lightly golden. Keep your eye on these, they go from golden and lovely to burnt and acrid in a heartbeat! Once golden, set aside
- When the vegetables are roasted remove from the oven and use your preferred method to blend - either in a blender, food processor or put into a bowl or saucepan if using a stick blender. Just be careful transferring the hot vegetables
- Add the balsamic vinegar, tomato puree and stock cubes when blending and check the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper as necessary
- Once blended stir in the pasta and pine nuts then leave everything to cool completely (see note)
- Serve with a few halved fresh cherry tomatoes and some basil sprigs - you can also shred some extra basil and stir through your cold pasta salad
- I've said to cook the pasta for 10 minutes instead of the usual 12-13 minutes for normal pasta as you'll be adding the cooked pasta to a hot sauce and leaving to cool. This will cook the pasta a little further so you want it underdone before adding to the sauce
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Fresh Spring Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword