Posted in Recipes on 17.01.2019
prep: 20 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 20 mins / quantity: 15-20 meatballs Print recipe?
There’s so many good things positively crammed into these protein rich vegan meatballs! They’re so simple to put together but pack big, hearty flavours into each bite!
It might be a long grocery list for these completely meatless vegan meatballs but everything is there for a reason – flavour. And actually putting them together is quite simple. It’s a one saucepan, one blender, one frying pan type affair for something that looks like a genuine meatball full of rich flavour and texture.
The fava beans and quinoa pack a huge protein kapow and all the onions, garlic, herbs and umami paste give unbelievable depth of flavour
If you’ve never cooked raw beans before they couldn’t be simpler. Yes they take an amount of time to go from hard little bullets to soft and creamy rich. But they’re SO worth it. Their flavour is incredible – cooked in veg stock that’s absorbed till they’re plump to bursting. I use a LOT of Hodmedods beans, pulses and seeds because they’re genuinely the best quality ingredients and such a lovely company. Such a diverse range too!
You can add your own touches to these vegan meatballs. Like it spicy? Add some fresh chilli or dried chilli flakes to the mixture before blending. Same with paprika and cumin, whatever takes your fancy! If you have a real craving for ultimate savoury comfort food then these vegan meatballs are perfect for you!
You can make these in advance, double the recipe even, so that a delicious and healthy meal is just a few minutes away. I’ve served these with a beautifully vibrant Marinara Sauce and spaghetti noodles but you can squish them into tacos or wraps. Pile high on a beautiful green salad with a big old dollop of hummus. Or how about with a rich vegan gravy and fluffy mash.
Excuse me, I have a sudden need to make more vegan meatballs 😉
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
prep: 20 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 20 mins / quantity: 15-20 meatballs
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 red onion – peeled and finely diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
- 1 cup (200g) Hodmedods split fava beans
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup Hodmedods quinoa
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tblsp Hodmedods umami paste
- 1/4 cup (25g) Hodmedods quinoa flakes (can sub for rolled oats)
- 1/4 cup (30g) Hodmedods quinoa flour (can sub with any gluten free flour, plain or wholemeal flour)
- Salt and pepper – pinch of each
- Optional – Marinara Sauce and cooked spaghetti to serve
- Food processor – I used this Magimix
- In a medium, heavy based saucepan put the peeled and chopped onion and peeled and crushed garlic with a drizzle of olive oil. Saute over a medium heat for just a couple of minutes
- Add the fava beans and vegetable stock and gently bubble, stirring occasionally for around 45 minutes. I like the beans softened but still with a little bite to them
- Add the quinoa, dried herbs, tomato puree, umami paste and 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until all the water has been absorbed
- Take off the heat and stir in the quinoa flakes, quinoa flour and seasoning to taste
- Tip everything into a food processor and blitz until just blended - I don't mind a few chunks of beans in my vegan meatballs!
- At this stage you can store the mix as a whole in the fridge or use your hands to scoop and shape the mixture into golf sized balls and store those in the fridge
- When you're ready to cook the meatballs, heat another drizzle of oil in a large frying pan and gently fry for 10-15 minutes, turning a couple of times, till they're golden and crisp on the outside
- Serve immediately
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Autumn Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword