Posted in Recipes on 05.10.2018
prep: 10 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 40 mins / quantity: 15 - 20 jellies (dependant on size) Print recipe?
Vegan jellies? Jellies that are vegan? Yep it’s possible!
These healthy little bite sized treats full of natural sweet flavour and gut friendly kombucha! These vegan jellies are also SO ridiculously easy to make and so easily adaptable for your own flavour combos!
But why bother making vegan jellies you might ask. Well, I could go into great detail about what goes into making the gelatine that’s the common jelling agent used in sweets/candy and set desserts. But I don’t want you to feel queasy from the start of a food post. So if you are ever curious about exactly what gelatine is, I really recommend googling it. If you had no idea what the ‘ingredients’ are in gelatine then finding out might (at least I hope) be a real game changer.
Phil used to love Haribo but being vegetarian means he can no longer eat most gummy type sweets. And I had a few bottles of the amazing (and versatile!) stuff that is Remedy Drinks Kombucha in some amazing flavours – apple crisp, raspberry lemonade and lemon/ginger. And I’d wondered if it was possible to make vegan jellies that not only tasted great but were actually sorta good for you. And with just 3 ingredients I think we’re onto something here! The only optional thing I added was a pinprick (literally) of food colouring. It’s not a natural ingredient and one I rarely use these days but it is good for photographs!! The kombucha have their own slight hue – especially the raspberry one, but diluted down it looked pale and uninspiring for these jellies (apologies Remedy Drinks!!)
And aren’t these molds adorable?! They came with their own pipette to make it easy getting the liquid in the little ‘holes’ and the jellies popped right out so easily once set!
The secret to vegan jellies is agar-agar powder – a gelatinous substance obtained from certain red seaweeds and used as a vegan thickener in foods. It’s MUCH more potent than gelatine so a little really does go a long way. And it gives a firmer, less chewy, more smooth and creamy texture than gelatine.
But it worked PERFECTLY for these jellies. They set in practically no time and they’re light and almost sparkly – naturally sweet with hints of flavour pops from the kombucha. And they have SO much possibility for flavour combos. Fresh berry purees, coconut milk and natural essences. YUM!
If you make these Vegan Jellies from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! )
prep: 10 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 40 mins / quantity: 15 - 20 jellies (dependant on size)
- 1/2 cup (110ml) Remedy Drinks Kombucha (see note on flavour)
- 1 + 1/2 tsp agar agar powder
- 1/2 tblsp agave syrup (could sub with maple syrup)
- 1 drop food colouring
- Pipette (makes it MUCH easier getting the jelly into the molds!)
- Jelly molds (this set comes with a pipette)
- Put the kombucha and agar agar powder into a small saucepan and whisk to dissolve the powder
- Simmer over a very gently heat for just a minute or two until it starts to turn thicker and more syrupy
- Whisk in the agave syrup and food colouring if using
- Using a pipette squeeze up the jelly mixture and squirt into the molds. Continue till you've used up all the jelly mixture
- If you can be bothered you can use a cocktail stick to pop any air bubbles!
- Transfer the molds to a fridge and chill for 20-30 minutes until set
- Gently but firmly tap or push out of the molds and store in an airtight container in the fridge
- This recipe is for one batch of jellies. I made 3 different batches of these jellies using 3 different flavours of kombucha and coloured each one differently:
- Blue: Apple Crisp
- Red: Raspberry Lemonade
- Light yellow: Ginger Lemon
Some products I used in today's post...
Sweets, Gummy Bear Moulds, Chocolate Silicone Moulds & Ice Cube Trays, Candy, Heart, Star and Seashell Moulds for Kids Party's, Set of 6
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Christmas Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword