Posted in Recipes on 26.05.2018
Vegan Blondies with Dark Chocolate Filling
prep: 15 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 1 hour 15 mins / quantity: 12 generous squares Print recipe?
I might have gone a bit overboard lately on the whole brownie/blondie thing. But who cares. One of the greatest baking gifts is the brownie – in all its forms. We’ve had one with blackcurrant and then a double chocolate and orange one with the most divine vegan frosting. And now we have blondies. I’ve never made blondies before, let alone vegan and gluten free ones!
I’m not personally gluten intolerant but I know a lot of people are and don’t necessarily want to miss out on their baked goodies. Nor should they. We also LOVE oats ❤ They’re higher in fibre and protein than other grains and can help to keep you feeling more full.
There’s so many delicious things crammed into these blondies – coconut, pecans, ground almonds and coconut sugar – one of THE best smells in the whole world!! And then there’s Pip & Nut butters. Two types in this recipe – Smooth Almond for the blondie batter and Chocolate & Coconut Hazelnut for the ooey gooey filling. Yummity yumyum ?
We also love Pip & Nut’s range of nut butters because there’s no e-numbers, no preservatives, no additives and most importantly no palm oil. Just healthy fats naturally found in nuts.
Because the blondie dough is quite a soft mix before it’s baked, as is the chocolate filling, you’ll need to set the two layers in the fridge for around half an hour so that you can spread the top layer on without mashing all the layers together. I know, I’m sorry, making you wait an extra half an hour before you’re in chocolate filled blondie heaven ?
I also saved around half the chocolate chips to sprinkle across the top – just so no-one’s in any doubt that these are chocolatey enough ?
Vegan Blondies with Dark Chocolate Filling
prep: 15 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 1 hour 15 mins / quantity: 12 generous squares
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts - roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Pip & Nut Smooth Almond Butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tblsp Pip & Nut Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tblsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Pip & Nut Chocolate & Coconut Hazelnut Butter
- 1 tblsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tblsp maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4 and line a 24cm x 18cm (9 x 7 inch) baking tray with parchment, covering the base and sides
- Using a blender or food processor whizz the oats until they become a fine powder
- Tip the ground oats into a large bowl along with the ground almonds, baking soda, baking powder, coconut sugar, chopped pecans dessicated coconut and 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Stir everything together until well combined
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave or in a saucepan then whisk in the almond butter, vanilla and almond milk
- Add this wet mix to your bowl of dry ingredients and stir lightly but well until just mixed together
- Spoon half of this mix into your prepared tin and push out to the edges, covering the base completely
- For the filling, melt the coconut oil then whisk in the chocolate hazelnut butter, cacao powder and maple syrup then pour over the base of your blondie. Put in the fridge for around half an hour until set enough to spread over the top
- Gently spread the remaining half of the blondie batter over the chocolate layer, covering the filling then bake for 25-30 minutes. These are a soft set bake and will firm up upon cooling. You don't want them too firm as their charm all comes from their gooeyness ?
- Leave to cool completely in the tin before cutting into squares
- Store in an airtight container
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Christmas Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword