Posted in Recipes on 16.11.2018
Ultimate Vegan Sandwich
prep: 20 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 50 mins / quantity: 4 sandwiches Print recipe?
When you have the nerve to call something the ultimate anything, it’s got to be pretty special right? And this Ultimate Vegan Sandwich IS indeed pretty special.
We start with a very simple home made bread – no yeast and no proving, just one bowl and 30 minutes bake time.
I’ve flavoured it with Kombucha which gives a lovely deep, almost malty, flavour. A great base from which to build our ultimate vegan sandwich.
Then we build our layers of flavour. Roast the tomatoes right along side your freshly baked bread – roasting them with a little red wine gives them an even sweeter, more tomatoey flavour. If you’re worried about opening a bottle of wine just for a splash to roast some tomatoes I buy the small, 1 glass bottles and anything I don’t use I freeze in ice cube trays. It’s not something you could probably drink as a glass of wine after but it’s a great way to keep any leftover wine and then just drop in sauces and stews!
Then we have the wonderful New Roots vegan cheese – specifically their Camembert. It’s light, creamy and full of cheesy flavour to perfectly off set the tomatoes. Then add some grated carrot for crunch, a sprinkle of fresh herbs and some smooth as silk sliced avocado. I also spread the bread with just a schmear (technical term) of Dijon mustard. Wholegrain mustard would be just as yummy, or even a little vegan pesto, creamy horseradish, vegan mayonnaise or onion relish. Because if you’re going to call a sandwich the Ultimate Vegan Sandwich you’ve got to push the envelope a little right? ?
If you make these Ultimate Vegan Sandwich or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Ultimate Vegan Sandwich
prep: 20 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 50 mins / quantity: 4 sandwiches
- 2 cups (280g) wholemeal flour
- 1 + 1/2 tblsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (115ml) kombucha (we love Remedy Kombucha)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) almond milk
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 cup (160g) cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegan red wine
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch sea salt
- Mustard of choice or dairy free spread
- 1 avocado – peeled, stone removed and sliced
- 1 x New Roots Camembert Vegan Cheese – sliced
- 1 small carrot – finely grated
- 4 tsp snipped fresh chives
- Start with the bread - preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and grease and dust with flour a loaf tin 3 x 9 inches (7 + 1/2 x 23 cm)
- In a large bowl put the flour, coconut sugar, bicarb and salt and stir together
- Add the kombucha, almond milk and olive oil and mix to form a dough. Tip out onto a lightly floured work surface and using your hands shape into a log, roughly the length of your tin
- Bake for 30 minutes until firm and lightly golden. If you're unsure it it's cooked tap the bottom of the loaf - if it's cooked it will sound hollow, otherwise return to the oven until it's cooked through
- While that's baking, toss together all the ingredients for the roast tomatoes and tip into a baking dish and cook for 20 minutes until the tomatoes have burst slightly
- Remove the bread and tomatoes from the oven and allow to cool 5-10 minute before building your Ultimate Vegan Sandwich!
- Thickly slice the bread into 8 slices and spread with mustard or spread of choice
- Lay the sliced avocado on 4 of the slices of bread, top with sliced cheese, then the grated carrot. Top with some of the roasted tomatoes, a sprinkle of chopped chives then finally top with the remaining slices of bread
- Dig in and enjoy!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Summer Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword