Posted in Recipes on 18.05.2018
Split Yellow Pea Breakfast Fritters
prep: 15 mins / cook: 50 mins / inactive: 60 mins / total: 2 hours 5 mins / quantity: 4 large fritters (2 portions) Print recipe?
Looking for something a bit different for breakfast? Don’t get me wrong a HUGE bowl of porridge with a generous sprinkle of granola or a fresh, fruity smoothie are still favourites but sometimes I fancy a savoury rather than sweet start to the day.
And these Split Yellow Pea Breakfast Fritters are a terrific way to pack in extra veggies (particularly ones you might not normally have for breakfast!) Serve with a couple of grilled field mushrooms and fresh tomatoes and you have a breakfast full of fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals. If you’re not vegan you could also top these with a poached egg.
You’ll want to grate the carrot on the fine side – like the one normally reserved for grating parmesan or citrus zest. This gives you lovely fine strands of carrot.
If you’ve never cooked dried split peas before there’s nothing to be worried about. Just give them a wash to remove any loose dirt then bubble gently, stirring occasionally, in vegetable stock for extra flavour. They smell amazing while they’re cooking too – really flavoursome and hearty. I’ve called these breakfast fritters but they’d make a lovely light lunch with a side salad as well.
I’ve also used Hodmedods exceptional organic split yellow peas. I’ve honestly fallen in love with all of their products. Great British ingredients grown in the heart of our beautiful countryside. Really lovely people to boot ❤
If you’re having these fritters for breakfast you’ll probably want to make the mixture ahead as it needs some cooling time before you can handle it to make the patties. It also thickens up a little on cooling, making it even easier to shape. Don’t worry about them falling apart in the pan, these hold together really well and get a lovely crunchy crust. Yum ?
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Split Yellow Pea Breakfast Fritters
prep: 15 mins / cook: 50 mins / inactive: 60 mins / total: 2 hours 5 mins / quantity: 4 large fritters (2 portions)
- In a large(ish) saucepan, saute the onion and carrot with a drizzle of olive oil until the onion is just starting to soften
- Add the split yellow peas and vegetable stock and simmer gently for around 30 minutes - I like my peas soft but still with a bit of bite. Stir the peas often and keep an eye on the level of liquid, you want the liquid evaporated by the end but you don't want the peas to boil dry (or you'll be cleaning the pan for weeks!!)
- Stir in the snipped chives, soy sauce and seasoning to taste. Then stir in the yellow pea flour and leave to cool - this takes around an hour but you can make to this stage in advance and store in the fridge till you're ready to shape and fry
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts and roughly shape into patties - I just use my hands for this. It's a little messy but I've found it to be the best way!
- As you shape each patty, lay them into a large frying pan with another drizzle of olive oil
- Cook for 8-10 minutes each side over a medium heat, you want a lovely golden colour
- Serve immediately with a couple of fried or grilled field mushrooms and halved tomatoes or a light side salad
- I've also eaten these cold the next day and they're just as lovely!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Summer Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword