Posted in Recipes on 02.04.2018
Red Pepper and Spinach Lunch Box Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 40 mins / quantity: 12 muffins Print recipe?
I’m always trying to find ideas to make the morning rush that much easier. Overnight oats, baked oats or a refreshing juice for breakfast that can be prepared ahead and sitting in the fridge waiting to be grabbed in the morning blur. The same goes for lunch. The canteen where Phil works isn’t great – particularly if you’re vegetarian/prefer to eat healthy. Or you don’t like mayonnaise or tomatoes. So I try organise him a packed lunch as well. Sometimes it’s wraps, sometimes it’s quinoa salad (his favourite). And now it’s these fabulous little Red Pepper and Spinach Lunch Box Muffins! And I LOVE them. Like could eat the whole tray to myself love them. SO tasty, SO packed with as many veggies as I could cram in and the Green Pea Flour from Hodmedods makes them gluten free too!
But I’ll admit, Phil was a little more than sceptical about these – he has these weird food ‘isms’. He’ll mostly only eat tomato soup but can’t stand tomatoes. And I made the mistake of telling him these were muffins. He’s never had a savoury muffin before so could he reconcile a spinachy, red peppery, cheesy muffin when his brain is telling him muffins should be sweet and full of things like chocolate and fruit?
So I packed him off with 3 of these for his lunch and a pile of salad then nervously asked for feedback. Turns out it was as simple as taking them out of the paper cases. Wait. What? Well then they ‘become savoury scones’ and he was fine with them as we’d already overcome the whole scones should be sweet not savoury fiasco ??
By the way, in case you’re wondering, Phil is a 44 year old grown up, hairy-arsed adult, not the 11 year old fussy eater you’re probably imagining ?
Here are some items I used in today’s post:
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him ❤
Red Pepper and Spinach Lunch Box Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 40 mins / quantity: 12 muffins
- 3 medium organic free range eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt and a few grinds of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard (could be substituted for English or Dijon mustard)
- 2 cups strong cheddar cheese - grated
- 3 spring onions - thinly sliced
- 2 cups (around 2 handfuls) baby spinach - shredded
- 1 red pepper - deseeded and diced
- 2 cups Hodmedods Green Pea Flour
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk with the milk and oil.
- Crumble in the stock cube then whisk that in along with the salt and pepper, baking powder, garlic powder, thyme and mustard
- Using a rubber spatula stir in the cheese, spring onions, spinach and pepper then gently fold in the pea flour
- Spoon into your 12 muffin cases (filling the cases around half full) and bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze if you're not using them in the next few days!
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Fresh Spring Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword