Posted in Recipes on 15.10.2019
Quinoa and Tenderstem Broccoli Bake
prep: 15 mins / cook: 55 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 10 mins / quantity: 2-4 portions Print recipe?
Looking for an easy week night meal that’s hearty, warming and delicious? Try this quinoa and broccoli bake that’s packed full of veggies, protein and flavour!
Because just like that it was autumn. Not that I’m complaining as autumn is my very favouritest season. Chilly dog walks, thick jumpers, fuzzy socks, hot chocolate and bowls of warm and deliciously filling comfort food like this broccoli bake fresh from the oven.
And it’s just what you want when you need something quick and tasty as this couldn’t be simpler. I also tried so hard to make this a one dish meal but not par-boiling the broccoli before putting it in the dish is a bad idea. So don’t be tempted to skip that step. I tried and failed at that already for you 😉
I thought the liquid that you use would also cook the broccoli. Nu-uh. All you get is tough, woody stalks in an otherwise soft textured dish and it’s NOT a nice combination. At all.
You can layer up the ingredients into the dish in pretty much any order you like. It all cooks together to become one unctuous rustic mess anyway!
- Veggies – broccoli, spring onions and peppers.
- Lentils – for tonnes of flavour and protein oomph.
- Quinoa – healthy as healthy can be. Filling too.
- Liquid stuff – veg stock to fluff up the quinoa, plant milk (I used oat) for a touch of creaminess.
- For flavour – pesto, mustard, vegan cheese.
One thing you won’t want to forget for this broccoli bake though is the oaty crumble topping. This goes all lovely and crisp and gives a wonderful crunchy contrast to the vegetable casserole underneath.
Craving more comfort food? Here are a few of our favourites:
- Teriyaki Baked Tofu
- The Best Vegetarian Lasagne (which also happens to be vegan)
- Vegan Vegetable Bake (a tried and tested favourite from lots of our readers!)
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- Tomato Pearl Barley Risotto
Do you have autumn and winter favourite dishes that you make time and time again? I love having a pot of something bubbling away to be devoured later with a thick hunk of home-made bread!
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Quinoa and Tenderstem Broccoli Bake
prep: 15 mins / cook: 55 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 10 mins / quantity: 2-4 portions
- 10 stalks (220g) tenderstem broccoli
- 1 tblsp vegan spread or softened butter
- 1/2 red pepper – roughly diced
- 8 spring onions – thinly sliced
- 1 cup (200g) uncooked Hodmedods two colour quinoa
- 1 + 1/2 cups (300g) cooked Hodmedods olive green lentils (see note)
- 1 cup (85g) vegan cheddar style cheese – grated
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1 cup (250ml) unsweetened plant milk – I used oat milk
- 2-3 tblsp vegan pesto
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- large pinch salt and a few good grinds of pepper
- 1 cup (100g) Hodmedods jumbo oats
- 2 tblsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until just starting to soften. Drain
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and generously butter the base and sides of a 12 x 8 inch (30 x 21 cm) ovenproof dish
- Lay the broccoli across the base of the dish and scatter over the chopped pepper and spring onions
- Add the quinoa, lentils and grated cheese
- Whisk together the stock, milk, pesto, mustard, salt and pepper and pour into the dish
- Bake for 15 minutes
- While it's baking, stir together all the ingredients for the oat crumble
- Carefully remove the dish from the oven and evenly scatter over the crumble mixture
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 30-35 minutes until the quinoa is cooked and fluffy
- To cook the lentils, rinse then cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes until plump and soft
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Autumn Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword