Posted in Recipes on 27.09.2017
Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
prep: 20 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 20 mins / quantity: 15 Bites Print recipe?
Have I overdosed you on autumn stuff yet? Did I start too early? I’m sorry, I can’t help it. Autumn is just my thing you know. And how great is it to have all the flavours of autumn in these healthy little snacks?!
I was brought up with having something sweet after dinner and those post-meal sugary cravings are still with me. The dates in these little bites not only provide natural sweetness but they’re also full of fibre and potassium. Dessert + health benefits = winning at life ?
And they honestly couldn’t be simpler to make, literally just chuck it all into a food processor and whizz! And if you like that raw cookie-dough texture there’s another reason you’re going to love these – add in those warming autumn spices of cinnamon and nutmeg as well as meltingly soft pumpkin puree and you have little bites of heaven!
What you do with them after you’ve rolled them into little balls is entirely up to you – they taste pretty great nekkid but a whole other level is reached by rolling them in a mixture of finely chopped pecan nuts and whole flax seeds or in organic baobab powder – which has a fruity sherbet like taste and a whole list of health benefits of its own!
One thing I’ve not tried doing with them yet is dipping them in melted chocolate – definitely on my to do list though! That softer than soft texture would undoubtedly be amazing with a hard chocolate shell – be sure to let me know if you try any of these variations or come up with your own!
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
prep: 20 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 20 mins / quantity: 15 Bites
- 5 organic Medjool dates – stones removed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 level tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Put the dates, pumpkin puree, peanut butter, cinnamon and nutmeg in a food processor and blend until the dates are well blended with the rest of the ingredients
- Add the quinoa flakes and oats and pulse till they're just mixed through
- Tip into a container and chill for around 30 minutes - this makes them easier to roll
- Once chilled, simply roll into bite sized balls, put into a sealable container and store in the fridge for up to 1 week
- If you've had your dates in the fridge for a while, soften them up by popping in a bowl and covering with boiling water for 5 minutes before adding to the food processor and blending
- I've used finely(ish!) chopped nuts and organic baobab powder to coat the bites - you can leave them plain or try with your own coatings! Be sure to let me know what you try!
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Autumn Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword