Posted in Recipes on 11.10.2017
Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Cookies
prep: 15 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 16 cookies Print recipe?
If I had to choose – you know back to the wall kinda situation – breakfast is probably my favourite meal of the day. Normally because I wake up famished but mostly because there’s just SO MUCH choice! Do I fancy sweet? Savoury? Both? My favourite breakfasts are the weekend ones because we actually get to eat together. Sometimes there are still alarm clocks involved but the best best ones are where you get to wake up naturally rather than jarred awake by an intrusive noise. Pad down to the kitchen, kettle on, pancakes whisked up and devoured with sticky fingers.
However, weekday mornings are VERY different. I’m SO fortunate to be able to work from home but Phil still has the daily commute, office life and office politics to deal with – yet this incredible man still brings ME a cup of tea in bed. Every morning. Superstar husband right there.
So I’m always looking for something that’s healthy, nutritious and filling enough to last him all morning and that can be prepared ahead so he can ‘grab n go’ in the morning blur. And don’t cookies feel like the perfect decadent breakfast. I mean COOKIES! FOR BREAKFAST! That’s what being an adult is all about. Cookies for breakfast.
Make them healthy cookies – vegan, gluten free and sugar free – pack them with filling oats, quinoa flakes and chia seeds, protein rich peanut butter and warming spices and you have the absolute best of both worlds.
This is quite a soft ‘dough’ once mixed and I scoop about 1 tblsp of mixture per cookie and shape and flatten in my hands before putting on the tray. They don’t spread so you can place them quite close together. The chocolate drizzle is optional. Though I might respect you a little less if you don’t think pretty much everything in life is improved with a little chocolate drizzle.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Cookies
prep: 15 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 35 mins / quantity: 16 cookies
- 1 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tblsp cold water
- 1 large ripe banana (the riper the better!)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tblsp organic chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- A few squares of dairy free dark chocolate – melted over a bain-marie or in a microwave
- Preheat your oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4
- Line 1 large or 2 small baking trays with greaseproof paper, baking parchment or silicon mats
- In a small bowl put your ground flax seeds and the cold water. Stir well then set aside for 5 minutes
- Peel the banana and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork then stir in the peanut butter, maple syrup, pumpkin puree, vanilla, all the spices and the baking powder
- Then stir in the flax 'egg' followed by the quinoa flakes and oats. Mix lightly but thoroughly
- I use around one heaped tablespoon per cookie, scooping out the mixture then shaping them into slightly flattened cookie shapes with my hands. Place reasonably close together on your baking tray(s)
- Once all shaped pop in the oven for 20 minutes - you want a soft but firm texture
- Allow to cool completely before drizzling with melted chocolate
- If you're not vegan you can substitute the flax egg for 1 medium hen's egg.
- You also don't have to use dairy free chocolate - though I do recommend dark chocolate over milk for its richer flavour ?
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Quick and Easy Meals
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword