Posted in Recipes on 28.06.2018
Pistachio and White Chocolate Shortbread
prep: 15 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 30 mins / quantity: 30 cookies (approx.) Print recipe?
I think I have a cookie addiction. That’s a thing right? I try to balance developing new recipes between sweet and savoury but when it’s sweet I naturally migrate to cookies and have to tug myself in a new direction to make something other than ALL.THE.COOKIES.
I mean, they’re just SO amenable. Perfectly proportioned. Can be eaten with one hand (cup of tea in the other – mandatory). They’re usually pretty quick and simple to knock up a (double) batch. And you can add all kinds of flavours to take the basic ingredients into something you almost need to be alone in a room with – just you, the cookie and some Barry White music.
Anyone else think of food in an adult but purely consensual way?
The cheese stands alone huh? ?
Nuts are another thing I have an addiction to. And pistachios – along with cashews – have to be my favourite. Not for all things – love a crunchy walnut for anything from topping a salad to stir frying with sprouts to tarting up a tart!
For this shortbread the pistachios go IN as well as ON each cookie. If you don’t finely chop them to go in the mixture they become a challenge to roll and cut. Same with the chocolate. But I also wanted you to be able to SEE the nuts and chocolate, not just assume they’re in the mix – hence the extra decoration. Which is also entirely optional if you’re pushed for time and need those cookies right flipping NOW! If that’s the case I totally know where you’re coming from.
If you make any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
Pistachio and White Chocolate Shortbread
prep: 15 mins / cook: 15 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 30 mins / quantity: 30 cookies (approx.)
- 1/2 cup (50g) shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup (75g) dairy free white chocolate - chips if you can get them otherwise break the bar into smallish chunks
- 1 cup (150g) vegan spread
- 1/2 cup (80g) coconut sugar
- 2 cups (250g) plain soft flour
- 1 tblsp shelled pistachios - roughly chopped
- few squares of dairy free white chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 Fan / Gas 5 and line a couple of large baking trays with parchment or silicon mats
- Put the shelled pistachios and white chocolate into a food processor and whizz until very finely chopped. The finer you can get it the easier it is to roll out the cookies! Otherwise you're rolling out round all the lumpy bumpy bits!!
- Set aside while you make the dough. Either by hand using a wooden spoon or in a stand mixer, cream together the vegan spread and coconut sugar till soft and well blended
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the flour and gently mix in
- When nearly all mixed together add the chopped nuts and chocolate and give a final few stirs until all well combined
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to around 1/2 cm thick. Cut into shapes - I used a 6cm / 2 inch round cutter - or cut into fingers with a sharp knife. Gently lift onto your baking trays - you can put them quite close together as they don't really spread
- Using a fork prick a couple of lines of holes into each cookie then pop in the oven and bake for 15 minutes - they should be very lightly golden and still a little soft as they firm up as they cool
- Leave to completely cool
- To decorate simply melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a bain-marie (a dish set over a pan of barely simmering water)
- Drizzle or pipe the chocolate over the cookies, sprinkling with the chopped pistachios every few cookies before the chocolate sets!
Some products I used in today's post...
GOURMEO Reusable Baking Sheets, set of 3, 32 x 46 cm, environmentally friendly, size adjustable, dishwasher friendly | 2 Year Satisfaction Guarantee | non-stick baking paper, durable non-disposable cooking mats, continuous baking sheets, easy to clean, baking tray liner for healthy low fat cooking, baking and roasting
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Christmas Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword