Posted in Recipes on 26.09.2019
Peri Peri Tacos with Sweetcorn Salsa
prep: 15 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 50 mins / quantity: 2-4 servings Print recipe?
Sweet, smoky flavours of peri peri in these vegan tofu and broccoli tacos, topped with a bright fresh sweetcorn salsa!
Spicy, a little bit sweet, crispy baked tofu and roasted broccoli are generously piled into extra soft corn tacos and topped with the brightest, freshest sweetcorn salsa to cool everything down just a little bit. If you’ve followed us for a while, you’ll know I’m not normally a fan of spicy food. I never developed an asbestos mouth! But Grenade asked us to make a recipe to help celebrate the launch of a BRAND NEW addition to their vegan snack range – Go Nuts Peri Peri Bars.
Feeling hot hot hot!
The beauty of these vegan tacos is that I can control the spice going into the tofu and broccoli. And topping with the crumbled bars brings a gentle heat rather than mouth on fire, drink the tap dry!
I’ve also added a lovely cooling sweetcorn salsa which brings all the flavours together with a wonderful Mexican, sitting on the patio drinking margaritas, watching the sunset vibe.
These peri peri tacos are summer on your plate and on your tongue. They are so bright, fresh and full of flavour we’ve had them 3 times this week already. And it’s only Thursday!
I’ll also admit to being fairly new to the whole taco thing – it started with these BBQ Bean and Lentil Tacos, carried on with this Za’atar Tofu, Roasted Cauliflower and Tzatziki Sauce and pretty much hasn’t stopped. We were always wraps people and were stuck in a rut of the same fillings because it was easy.
But these peri peri tacos couldn’t be simpler! The tofu and broccoli are baked on the same tray and the sweetcorn salsa can be made while they roast.
I added a good dollop of coleslaw to my tacos too. For extra cools. Phil doesn’t like coleslaw but he does love spicy. So he had extra Grenade Go Nuts Peri Peri bars on his tacos. They give a lovely zingy kick and add some extra chewy crunch.
Are you a crunchy or soft taco lover?
As a taco newbie I’ve so far stuck to the soft ones. Are the crunchy ones difficult to eat? They look like they would shatter all over the place resulting in lost filling and general mess and swearing.
And as the tofu and broccoli are just as good cold as they are fresh out the oven you could use them and the chopped up bars for so many other things:
- Salad topping
- Burrito/rice/Buddha bowls
- Topping for plain noodles
- Piled into little gem lettuce leaves for a quick and healthy lunch
- Stirred through quinoa or couscous
- Just shovelled straight into your mouth after being dipped in vegan mayonnaise
Oh the possibilities.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Peri Peri Tacos with Sweetcorn Salsa
prep: 15 mins / cook: 35 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 50 mins / quantity: 2-4 servings
- 2 cups (400g) tofu
- 3 cups (280g / 1 large head) broccoli – broken into florets and measured
- 3 tblsp oil
- 2 tblsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tblsp agave or maple syrup
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili flakes (add more if you like it extra spicy!)
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano
- Good pinch each of salt and pepper
- 3 x Grenade Go Nuts Peri Peri bars – roughly chopped
- ½ cup (100g) sweetcorn
- ½ cup (100g) cherry tomatoes – quartered
- ½ red pepper – finely diced
- 2 spring onions – thinly sliced
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Tortillas – I used super soft corn tortillas
- Lettuce – I used lamb’s lettuce
- Drain the tofu and lay between several pieces of kitchen paper for at least 30 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line a large tray with parchment or a silicon mat
- In a large bowl mix together the oil, aminos, ginger, syrup, spices, oregano and salt and pepper
- Dice the tofu into roughly 2cm cubes and add to the bowl. Gently toss in the sauce then lift out and place on your prepared tray
- Put the broccoli florets in the bowl and toss with the remaining sauce. Lay onto the tray with the tofu and bake for 35 minutes until golden and crisp
- While that’s cooking make the salsa
- Drain the sweetcorn and tip into a bowl. Add the quartered tomatoes and sliced onions
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic powder and seasoning to taste and stir into the sweetcorn mixture
- To serve the tacos, layer up the lettuce, coleslaw, tofu and broccoli onto a tortilla. Top with the salsa and Go Nuts Peri Per bars, fold end enjoy!
Some products I used in today's post...
The Groovy Food Company Organic Light Amber & Mild Agave Nectar 250ml (Pack of 3)
Price Check on Amazon
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Autumn Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword