Posted in Recipes on 28.09.2018
Kid Friendly Veggie Nuggets
prep: 20 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 20 mins / quantity: 25 - 30 nuggets Print recipe?
There’s loads of healthy veggies crammed into these kid friendly veggie nuggets as well as protein rich chickpeas!
They’re also super easy to prepare and while I’ve called them veggie nuggets they’re actually vegan (and gluten free!) and can be made in advance for a great quick snack or lunch box treat!
If you know me you’ll know I don’t have children. So how can I call these veggie nuggets kid friendly?
Because what I do have is a very fussy eating 45 year old whose attitude to food in the past has been very much like a child. I’m not being mean here and Phil would be the first to agree. He’s changed a LOT over the years in his approach to food. When we first met even the idea of vegetables and fruit filled him with horror. He was very much a meat and carbs man. It’s taken a LOT of gentle persuasion, some clever disguising and even a bit of bravery in his part to become the salad loving vegetarian he is today.
However I’m still a little bit wary and always even more surprised with some of the things I cook that he actually enjoys. My latest recipe development has been a vegan double chocolate scone creation. Now those I already know in advance he’ll not only eat but will literally gorge on. Veggie nuggets not so much!
So when this 45 year old fussy eater comes home and tells you how he told his boss (hi again Fay!) about how much he loved the veggie nuggets he had the night before you know you’ve got a winning recipe ?
They’re also super simple to make and can be made well in advance with just a quick warm in the oven or even dished up cold in a salad or lunch box!
Like these falafel burgers I tried just baking them but they didn’t crisp up the same way and that crispy outside ‘jacket’ is what really makes these stand out. When you make the mixture it’s going to seem quite wet. Don’t fear! Just spoon it into your frying pan where it will crisp up perfectly and enable you to turn it over easily while staying soft and deliciously moist inside!
They’re also lovely dipped in a slightly spicy, sweet tomato relish or a homemade marinara sauce chock full of even more veggies ?
If you make these Kid Friendly Veggie Nuggets or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Kid Friendly Veggie Nuggets
prep: 20 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 20 mins / quantity: 25 - 30 nuggets
- 1 large (350g) sweet potato – peeled and diced into medium chunks
- 1/2 cup (100g) quinoa
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock (or water and a veg stock cube)
- 1/2 cup (3-4 whole) spring onions – finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- drizzle of olive oil
- 3 handfuls (approx 80g) spinach
- 400g can (240g drained weight) chickpeas
- 1 tsp mustard (I used dijon but wholegrain would work too!)
- 4 tblsp yellow pea flour (see note)
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tblsp nutritional yeast (optional, but it does add a nice mild cheesy flavour!)
- salt and pepper
- Put the diced sweet potato into a medium saucepan, add a pinch of salt, cover with boiling water and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Drain well once cooked
- In a small pan put the quinoa, veg stock, spring onions and garlic and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until all the liquid has been absorbed. Add the spinach and stir it through - the heat will wilt it and reduce its volume
- Put the quinoa mixture, cooked potatoes, drained chickpeas, mustard, pea flour, rosemary, nutritional yeast and a good pinch each of salt and pepper into a food processor (see note)
- At this stage you can chill the mixture to cook later - just put into a sealed container and keep in the fridge for up to a couple of days
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line a large baking tray with parchment or a silicon mat
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan over a low/medium heat
- The nugget mix is quite wet - don't worry. Just drop tablespoons of the mixture into the warm frying pan and lightly flatten. I cooked around 7-8 nuggets in the pan at a time
- Cook for a couple of minutes until the base is firm and crispy enough to flip with a palette knife or fish slice
- Cook for another minute or two on the other side then lift onto the baking tray. Repeat until you've used up all the mix
- Here you can either store the nuggets on the tray in the fridge until you're ready to use or pop in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until firm and delicious!
- The yellow pea flour can be subbed for any gluten free flour or just plain flour or wholemeal flour if you don't need these to be gluten free. The pea flour does have a lovely mild taste though!
- If, like us, you only have a small food processor you might need to blend the nuggets in a couple of batches - I mix everything together in a large bowl then process it in 2-3 batches, otherwise it just sits in the processor bowl not moving!!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Warm & Cozy Autumn Favourites
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword