Posted in Recipes on 18.10.2017
Healthy Rice Krispie Treats
prep: 15 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 squares Print recipe?
Rice Krispie Treats are my earliest ‘cooking’ memory. Way back when, I used to nag mum to let me make them at least once a week. And though I didn’t actually get to make them that often (and sometimes they were with cornflakes!) this is food I grew up with. I like to think my skills have improved since those very early days of giant wooden spoons and stirring Rice Krispies through melted chocolate. But sometimes you just want something that reminds you of home. You know?
Making them healthier wasn’t as hard as I thought it might be either. Raw cacao powder is a truly amazing thing. It’s made by cold-pressing unroasted cacao beans. The process keeps the living enzymes and removes the fat (cacao butter). This gives you all the flavour of chocolate but without all the added sugars/sweeteners and fats that are often found in commercial chocolate. It also has even more antioxidants which help keep your heart healthy!
And it really is just as simple as its childhood counterpart. Instead of melting chocolate, here we melt some coconut oil and peanut butter (because peanut butter makes EVERYTHING better) then whisk in the cacao powder. Giving you a thick, rich, sticky chocolate goo. I sold you right there didn’t I? ?
he addition of goji berries isn’t just about their health benefits. They are great tasting little pops of flavour – sweet and chewy. They’re also rich in antioxidants, as well as Vitamin C and beta-carotene. The maca powder is completely optional, but of all superfoods, maca is my personal favourite. It’s an adaptogen and has completely stopped those very specific monthly cramps ?
Ms Meg doesn’t care about goji berries or maca though. She would be just as happy if there were slugs or maggots in there instead ?
If you make these Healthy Rice Krispie Treats or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Healthy Rice Krispie Treats
prep: 15 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 squares
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/2 cup organic goji berries
- 1 heaped tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1 tblsp organic maca powder
- Line a 9” x 9” square tin with a piece of greaseproof, parchment or cling film
- In a large bowl stir together the Rice Krispies and goji berries
- In a medium saucepan over a medium heat, gently warm the coconut oil and maple syrup. When it’s melted whisk in the peanut butter till it's smooth then whisk in the cacao powder and optional maca powder
- Stir the melted ingredients into the Rice Krispies and goji berries till all the little rice puffs are well coated
- Tip the mixture into your prepared tin, smooth and flatten the surface then put in the fridge for around half an hour to set
- Turn out and cut into squares. And remember to save some for the actual kids ;)
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Summer Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword