Posted in Recipes on 06.12.2017
Gluten Free Stuffing
prep: 20 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 20 mins / quantity: 8 portions (roughly!) Print recipe?
Have you ever tried to take a photo of stuffing. Well unless it’s chocolate it’s like taking a photo of any brown food. And I don’t have the skills to do the taste of this justice. Because I swear on Christmas (yep, I’m THAT serious) that I could NOT stop eating this. I was truly worried about it, wondering if I’d just wasted a whole dish of ingredients and time because it looks like, erm, crap really. There’s no colour to it, it’s kinda flat and it took feckin hours to cook. Well not hourS. One hour. But that’s a long time to have the oven on if something doesn’t work.
So I’m going to show you a few photos of what went into it …
Because they’re beautiful colours. Nature’s bounty.
No drab and unappetising browns here, even when they’re being lightly sauted to coax out all those lovely juicy flavours
I also want to mention the glorious thing that is Hodmedod’s Quinoa Flour. Gluten free and with a subtle nutty taste that allows the vegetables to take centre stage while giving the stuffing that bread-y quality without taking over in flavour or texture. I’ve used quinoa flour a few times now when trying to make gluten free bread and they’ve often come out cakey. I haven’t tried making it with Hodmedods Quinoa Flour yet but I SO want to now! This stuffing was light and savoury/sweet thanks to the combination of herbs and dazzling sultana jewels that popped with flavour in each bite. Nom nom nommity nom.
It’s actually more embarrassing than that as I was literally scooping it out of the dish with my hands straight into my face. I tell you, this dull brown food is never going to stop me from channelling my inner cave-woman
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Gluten Free Stuffing
prep: 20 mins / cook: 60 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 1 hour 20 mins / quantity: 8 portions (roughly!)
- 3 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 6 tblsp cold water
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 2 red onions – peeled and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
- 3 large sticks celery – finely diced
- 2 apples – peeled and finely diced (without the core!)
- 6-8 sprigs fresh thyme – leaves only
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 3 stalks of rosemary – the needle like leaves only
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1 + 1/2 cups Hodmedods Quinoa Flour
- 1/2 cups ground almonds
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160 Fan / 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4 and rub a drizzle of olive oil around a baking dish - I used one 5 x 9 inches
- Mix the ground flax seeds with the water and set aside to thicken
- In a large frying pan, heat another drizzle of olive oil and gently saute the onions, garlic, celery, apple and herbs for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally till softened
- In a medium bowl stir together the quinoa flour and ground almonds
- To the frying pan add the flax 'egg' and sultanas and stir, then stir in the quinoa/ground almonds, a few good twists of black pepper and a large pinch of sea salt, incorporating well
- Tip everything into your greased dish and put in the oven for 45 mins - 1 hour till firm in the centre
- Serve immediately - though it's also just as lovely cold in a sammich the next day too!
- With the best will in the world, fresh herbs aren't always readily available. If not, substitute:
- Thyme - 1 tsp dried thyme
- Sage - 1 tsp dried sage
- Rosemary - 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Warm & Cozy Autumn Favourites
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword