Posted in Recipes on 02.11.2018
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
prep: 20 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 1 hour 10 mins / quantity: 8 - 10 servings Print recipe?
This darkly delicious, layered, gluten free chocolate cake is vegan, naturally sweetened and super simple to make!
I’m not ashamed to admit I have a bit of a thing for Sweet Freedom. Their natural fruit and chocolate squeezes and spreads give everything I’ve made with them a decadently rich flavour. And I’ve made a LOT of things! For this gluten free chocolate cake I’ve used their Fruit Syrup, Choc Shot AND Choc Pot. So much yummyness!
I’ve had varying success with gluten free baking. This Raspberry and Almond Cake was supposed to be gluten free but after 3 sunk cakes I gave up. Neither Phil nor I are gluten free but I know there’s a lot of people with this intolerance out there so why shouldn’t they be able to have their cake and eat it?! ?
Gluten free pastry for these Lemon Meringue Pies and these Vegan Quiches was a doddle using fava bean flour from Hodmedods and I want to experiment further with their flours. In fact – keep your eyes peeled for a gluten free gingerbread cake coming closer to Christmas!
So to combat the sunk cakes instead of making one single cake, could it work (and not sink!) making 2 cakes and sandwiching them together? It actually had 2 benefits – cakes didn’t sink (woopwoop!) AND the addition of a lovely rich chocolaty ‘buttercream’ to sandwich the gluten free chocolate cake together. As well as the darkly delicious generous spread of Chocolate Pot across the top. Two frostings for one cake that didn’t sink? I call that triple win!
If you make this Gluten Free Chocolate Cake or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! )
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
prep: 20 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 30 mins / total: 1 hour 10 mins / quantity: 8 - 10 servings
- 2 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 2 cups (220g) ground almonds
- 1/4 cup (20g) raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/3 cup (110g) Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup
- 1/4 cup (50g) dairy free spread (I use Vitalite)
- 1/4 cup (30g) icing sugar
- 2 tblsp Sweet Freedom Choc Shot
- 2-3 tblsp Sweet Freedom Choc Pot
- Optional fresh fruit and/or sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5 and with a little oil or dairy free spread grease and then dust with flour two 6 inch (15cm) sandwich cake tins. I also cut a disc of parchment for the bases - but my tins are old and losing their non-stick!
- In a small bowl or mug put the ground flax seeds along with 1/3 cup (80 ml) cold water and set aside for 5-10 minutes to thicken slightly
- Into a largeish bowl put the ground almonds, cacao, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and stir together until well mixed
- Add the flax and water mixture (often referred to as a flax 'egg') along with the fruit syrup and stir together until just mixed
- Evenly divide the cake mixture (see note) between the two prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes until just firm
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then carefully lift or drop out of the tin onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely
- While that's cooling, mix together the dairy free spread with the icing sugar and choc shot in a bowl and mix well together. Keep in the fridge until your cakes are cooled
- When the cakes are completely cold spread the middle frosting over one of the cakes then place the other cake on top
- Spread the choc pot over the top of the cake and decorate however you fancy! I used fresh figs and redcurrants for a fruity, tart contrast to all that sweet scrummy chocolate!
- There's no getting away from the fact that this cake doesn't have a typical cake texture while raw - it feels thick and too dry. Trust me, when it's baked and decorated it's cake perfection!
Some products I used in today's post...
6 Inch Straight Sided Round Victoria Sandwich Cake Tins, Twin Pack, Fixed Base, 15cm, British Made with GlideX Non Stick by Lets Cook Cookware
Price Out of stock
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Fresh Spring Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword