Posted in Recipes on 26.10.2018
Death by Chocolate Cupcakes
prep: 30 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 60 mins / total: 1 hour 50 mins / quantity: 12 cupcakes Print recipe?
These spooky cute Death by Chocolate Cupcakes with devilishiously dark vegan chocolate and supernaturally sweet vegan frosting are a super easy Halloween recipe!
I LOVE cooking. More specifically baking. It’s where my ❤ calls home. But developing recipes can have its stressful moments when things don’t work out either quite or even anything like you’d intended. There aren’t exactly tears and tantrums but there is much phooing and throwing of hands in the air. And maybe an occasional swear word. Or three. But I had SO MUCH fun making these Death by Chocolate Cupcakes!
Mostly from just attaching the eyes and seeing my little monsters come to life!!
I also LOVE working with chocolate. It’s so tactile and melty and gorgeous! And Doisy & Dam’s range of superfood infused vegan chocolate is some of THE best chocolate we’ve ever had.
There’s also the wonderful stuff that is raw cacao powder. I both use it and mention it a LOT! It’s so rich in chocolate flavour as well as being full of heart healthy antioxidants. A little goes a really long way!
And if you’re going to call something Death by Chocolate it should really blood curdlingly SCREAM chocolate. Can you tell I love Halloween? I’m not really even sure why. I guess because I’ve always been a fan of the slightly quirky, ever so creepy, get dressed up and scare the daylights out of small children 😉
And I love scouring for new vegan Halloween recipes. I try and keep mine fairly simple so that people can recreate them and have a blast eating something that looks a little disgusting! Like Toxic Slime Mac and Cheese or Spooky Halloween Bark. There are some seriously creative people out there who fashion giant food structures that are genuine works of art. But I wanted another easy Halloween recipe. Something that was fun as well as being utterly delicious.
These death by chocolate cupcakes are also a one bowl mix. In the land of the perpetually full washing up bowl I call one bowl vegan chocolate cupcakes winning at life.
But if we have to die of something is there a better way to go than Death by Chocolate Cupcakes *cue creepy music* 😉
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Death by Chocolate Cupcakes
prep: 30 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 60 mins / total: 1 hour 50 mins / quantity: 12 cupcakes
- 2 medium/large spotty bananas
- 1 cup (230ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cups (250g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (80g) coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (30g) raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2/3 cup (80g) vegan chocolate
- 1 + 1/4 cups (250g) dairy free spread or vegan butter (see note)
- 2 cups (300g) icing sugar
- Optional – food colouring paste and candy eyes
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases
- Peel the bananas and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or a potato masher (some small lumps of banana are fine!)
- Add the almond milk, vinegar and vanilla and whisk together
- Add the flour, sugar, cacao powder, baking powder and bicarb and whisk until well mixed, bringing the whisk up from the bottom of the bowl to make sure there are no pockets of unmixed flour!
- Add the chopped chocolate and gently whisk in
- Evenly spoon the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer or cocktail stick inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before lifting out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- While they're cooling make the frosting. If you're doing more than one colour (I chose orange and a mix of blue and red to make purple!) mix the dairy free spread with the icing sugar in one batch, then divide the mixture into seperate bowls for however many colours your using!
- Add the colouring(s), mixing them well through the frosting and put back in the fridge until ready to use
- When the cupcakes are completely cold spoon the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe swirls on top of each cupcake
- Add the googly candy eyes when done and marvel at your witchy skills!
- Store in an airtight container
- Most dairy free spreads are a lot softer set than butter - it's easier to pipe and gives those softer swirls. Use a hard block type vegan butter if you'll be storing these in warmer temperatures
Some products I used in today's post...
PINK SUN Raw Organic Cacao Powder 1kg (or 2kg 3kg) Unsweetened Drinking Chocolate Natural Criollo Cocoa Sugar Free 1000g Bulk Buy
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Autumn Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword