Posted in Recipes on 26.10.2018
Death by Chocolate Cupcakes
prep: 30 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 60 mins / total: 1 hour 50 mins / quantity: 12 cupcakes Print recipe?
Spooky cute Death by Chocolate Cupcakes with devilishiously dark vegan chocolate and supernaturally sweet vegan frosting!
I LOVE cooking. More specifically baking. It’s where my ❤ calls home. But developing recipes can have its stressful moments when things don’t work out either quite or even anything like you’d intended. There aren’t exactly tears and tantrums but there is much phooing and throwing of hands in the air. And maybe an occasional swear word (or three) ?
But I had SO MUCH fun making these Death by Chocolate Cupcakes.
Mostly from just attaching the eyes and seeing my little monsters come to life!!
I also LOVE working with chocolate. It’s so tactile and melty and gorgeous! And Doisy & Dam’s range of superfood infused vegan chocolate is some of THE best chocolate we’ve ever had.
There’s also the wonderful stuff that is raw cacao powder. I both use it and mention it a LOT! It’s so rich in chocolate flavour as well as being full of heart healthy antioxidants. A little goes a really long way!
These death by chocolate cupcakes are also a one bowl mix. In the land of the perpetually full washing up bowl I call 1 bowl vegan chocolate cupcakes winning at life ?
If you make these Death by Chocolate Cupcakes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! )
Death by Chocolate Cupcakes
prep: 30 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 60 mins / total: 1 hour 50 mins / quantity: 12 cupcakes
- 2 medium/large spotty bananas
- 1 cup (230ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cups (250g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (80g) coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (30g) raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 x 80g bar Doisy and Dam Maca, Vanilla & Cacao Nibs - roughly chopped into small bite sized pieces
- 1 + 1/4 cups (250g) dairy free spread - I used Vitalite
- 2 cups (300g) icing sugar
- Optional - food colouring paste and candy eyes
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases
- Peel the bananas and break into chunks into a large bowl. Mash with a fork or a potato masher (some small lumps of banana are fine!)
- Add the almond milk, vinegar and vanilla and whisk together
- Add the flour, sugar, cacao powder, baking powder and bicarb and whisk until well mixed, bringing the whisk up from the bottom of the bowl to make sure there are no pockets of unmixed flour!
- Add the chopped chocolate and gently whisk in
- Evenly spoon the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer or cocktail stick inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before lifting out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- While they're cooling make the frosting. If you're doing more than one colour (I chose orange and a mix of blue and red to make purple!) mix the dairy free spread with the icing sugar in one batch, then divide the mixture into seperate bowls for however many colours your using!
- Add the colouring(s), mixing them well through the frosting and put back in the fridge until ready to use
- When the cupcakes are completely cold (see note) spoon the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe swirls on top of each cupcake
- Add the googly candy eyes when done and marvel at your witchy skills ?
- Store in an airtight container
- Most dairy free spreads are a lot softer set than butter so the cupcakes will absolutely need to be completely cooled before frosting!
Some products I used in today's post...
PINK SUN Raw Organic Cacao Powder 1kg (or 2kg 3kg) Unsweetened Drinking Chocolate Natural Criollo Cocoa Sugar Free 1000g Bulk Buy Peruvian Peru
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Christmas Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword