Posted in Recipes on 22.05.2018
Crispy Coconut Cauliflower and Prawn Style Tacos
prep: 15 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 4 portions Print recipe?
If you’re a delicate finger food, tiny portions eater then I’m afraid these tacos just aren’t for you. Don’t get me wrong, mention afternoon tea and I’m donning my lace gloves and exercising my pinky finger in anticipation of fine china, tiny sandwiches and delicate pastries. But tacos, to me, are an excuse to cram as much yumminess into a soft tortilla as is humanly possible. And often inhumanly as I end up shoe-horning so much in I could do with a flip-top head.
And yes, I’m a soft tortilla kinda person. I find tacos messy enough without crumbling crunchy taco shells all over the place!
All the crunchy texture you could ever need comes from the vegetables. Vibrant red cabbage, carrot, red pepper and cucumber. And crispy baked coconut cauliflower. Oh boy – this stuff I can so easily eat straight off the tray, no tacos needed. Just pop pop pop. Herbs and spices, nutritional yeast, panko breadcrumbs, coconut and a bit of pea flour and almond milk all combine to make a delicious coating to one of my favourite vegetables. Who am I kidding, I love ALL vegetables! Except aubergine .. I don’t know why but I never acquired the taste for it ?
I think I had a bad ratatouille once and the aubergines were what can only be described as slimy ? And I guess I’ve never forgotten it.
In complete contrast is another crispity crisp addition of Fry’s Family Foods Prawn Style Pieces. Oh. My. Word. Just one more thing to add to the ever expanding list of things I have to stop myself eating before I don’t have enough left for the photograph or actual dish. I did this exact thing today working on a recipe for an ultra-summery warm peach salad with salty dry fried pecan nuts. I cooked a pan full. Ate them all. Had to cook more so I had some for the finished dish and photographs … then was too full to take Meg for her afternoon walk. I’ll never learn ?
I’ve also dolloped on this vegan pesto to up the anti on summery flavours. I also don’t know why I think of pesto as summery when my basil plant lives on the windowsill all year round! If you’re not a fan of pesto you can sub with (vegan or otherwise) mayo or the traditional fishy accompaniment of tartar sauce.
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Crispy Coconut Cauliflower and Prawn Style Tacos
prep: 15 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 4 portions
- 1 small head of cauliflower – broken into florets
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup pea flour
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tblsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 pack Fry’s Family Foods Prawn Style Pieces
- 1 pack of 8 taco shells – soft or crunchy, the choice is yours!
- Lettuce leaves – I used sweet little gem
- Shredded/diced vegetables – I used sliced red cabbage, grated carrot, sliced red pepper and diced cucumber
- Optional: Vegan Pesto or vegan mayo/tartar sauce
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line a medium tray with parchment or silicon
- Put the cauliflower florets into a bowl and add the milk. Shake to coat as much of the cauliflower as possible
- Put the breadcrumbs, pea flour, coconut, garlic powder, oregano, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper into a large bowl or dish and stir to combine
- Drain the milk off the cauliflower (discard the milk) then add the cauliflower to the breadcrumb mixture
- Shake well then use your hands to press the coating into the 'nooks and crannies' of the florets!
- Tip the cauliflower onto your prepared tray and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden and crispy
- While they're cooking prepare your shredded vegetables and pan fry the prawn style pieces
- Layer the lettuce leaves and shredded veg in your taco shell, top with the cooked cauliflower and prawns then dollop on some pesto (or vegan mayo or tartar sauce if that's your preference!)
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Quick and Easy Meals
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword