Posted in Recipes on 05.04.2019
Cookies and Cream Vegan Blondies
prep: 15 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12-15 squares Print recipe?
These vegan blondies are a delicately light vegan sponge filled with walnuts, chocolate chips and Cookies and Cream natural flavouring. They’re also dangerously moreish!!
If you’re wondering what the difference between a brownie and a blondie is it’s actually quite simple. A blondie is a brownie without the chocolate! So instead of rich cocoa, a blondie gets its flavour from vanilla and brown sugar – making an almost butterscotch like flavoured sponge. For these vegan blondies I wanted to switch the flavour up another level with Foodie Flavours natural essence. Specifically their Cookies and Cream.
Oh my goodness the smell of this not only in the bottle but while it was baking was almost intoxicating. It was one of those typically wet British mornings and all I wanted to do was throw open the doors and windows so that the whole street could get a smell!
I’ve used a variety of Foodie Flavours different essences and flavourings now and each one I think ‘ooo this is my new favourite’. They are SO good and so versatile. You can simply enhance a flavour already in the recipe – like these Vegan Jaffa Cakes. Or add a whole new dimension of flavour as with these vegan blondies.
And like the Best Vegan Brownies recipe, I wanted these vegan blondies to be straight up, no frills, no fuss, good old fashioned cake.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my veggies as much as anyone can but sometimes I want cake that’s cake. Like proper cake, not cake that’s trying to be healthy with its chickpeas or avocado. And I’m borderline in danger of over-using nut butters – because NUT BUTTER! So I tried to keep the not normally cake ingredients to a minimum so that you too can enjoy a chunk of good old fashioned cake when it takes your fancy 😉
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Cookies and Cream Vegan Blondies
prep: 15 mins / cook: 30 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12-15 squares
- 2 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 1 + 3/4 cups (250g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (180g) golden caster sugar or light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) walnuts – broken or chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup (40g) dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 20 drops Foodie Flavours Cookies and Cream Natural Flavouring
- 1/3 cup (60g) vegan butter
Optional extra topping:
- 1 tblsp walnuts – broken or chopped into small pieces
- 1 tblsp dairy free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6. Use a little vegan spread to brush the inside of a 7 x 11 (18 x 28 cm) brownie tin then coat with flour, tapping out the excess. I also lay a piece of cut parchment in the base of the tin as this makes it SO much easier getting the blondie out!
- In a small bowl or mug put the ground flax seeds with 1/3 cup (85 ml) of cold water. Mix well and set aside
- Sift the flour and baking powder together into a large bowl then stir in the sugar, walnuts and chocolate chips
- In a jug or bowl whisk together the almond milk and Cookies and Cream flavouring then whisk in the flax egg
- Melt the vegan butter then whisk into the milk mixture
- As soon as you've whisked in the butter to the milk pour this into your bowl of dry ingredients and using a large rubber spatula mix everything together well. Mix up from the bottom of the bowl so that you don't get any 'pockets' of flour
- Pour the batter into your prepared tin and smooth to the edges. Sprinkle with the extra chopped walnuts and chocolate chips if you're using them
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until risen, springy to the touch and lightly golden
- Allow to cool in the tin (for as long as you can stand the smell without eating it!!) before lifting out onto a board and cutting into squares
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our favourite spring recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword