Posted in Recipes on 23.03.2018
Chia Lemon Muffins with Lemon Curd
prep: 30 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 55 mins / quantity: 12 muffins Print recipe?
So even though it’s mid-March and still mostly grey and cold outside as I write this, come inside in the warm, grab a cuppa and meet my ‘taste of spring’ muffins.
It took me a couple of tries to get these just right – lemony enough without making your face pucker and lusciously light. All while making them totally vegan, including the lemon curd!
Phil did express disappointment when I finally got the taste and texture just right because it meant there wouldn’t be a couple of dozen muffin ‘rejects’ (still edible just not quite ‘there’) to be eaten!
The first batch just didn’t rise – the mixture was far too dense and chewy. The second batch rose ok but because I’d used wholemeal flour they looked far too much like a carrot cake muffin recipe I’m also working on. They tasted great though so it was just a simple swap of flours to get the right colour, texture, taste and consistency.
Phil has a fondness for sharp/tart things but I think these are lemony enough. However, feel free to add more lemon zest if you feel they’re lacking. Do try them with the lemon curd first though as it really does take these simple muffins to a whole new muffin heaven level.
And yes, cookies’ perks means you get to eat the bits you scoop out to fill with the curd! I just used a sharp pointed knife to mark a hole then scooped it out with a teaspoon. And nommed the spare bits ? Which is perfectly acceptable right?
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Chia Lemon Muffins with Lemon Curd
prep: 30 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 55 mins / quantity: 12 muffins
- 2 tblsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup golden caster sugar
- 1 tblsp vegan spread (I used Vitalite)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tblsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 lemon – grated zest and juice
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil – melted
- fresh strawberries for decoration
- Start by making the lemon curd (so it has time to cool before spooning into the muffins!)
- Put the cornflour into a small bowl and whisk with 1-2 tblsp of the almond milk to make a smooth thin paste
- Put the rest of the milk in a small saucepan along with the lemon juice and sugar, whisk together then bring almost to the boil. Whisk in the cornflour mixture and gently bubble, whisking continuously until smooth and thick. Take off the heat and set aside to cool
- For the muffins, preheat the oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5 and line your muffin tin with cases
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, chia seeds and coconut sugar
- In a small bowl or jug whisk together the lemon juice and zest, almond milk, vinegar and melted coconut oil then pour into the dry ingredients
- Stir together until just mixed then spoon into the cupcake cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- Scoop out a piece of the centre of the muffins then spoon in the lemon curd and top with a half a fresh strawberry
- If you don't intend to serve/eat the muffins straight away don't scoop out the middle, keep whole until you do intend to eat them
- Store the lemon curd in the fridge and the muffins in an airtight container
- First time I made the lemon curd I used coconut sugar - tasted great but because of the colour of coconut sugar the curd looked more like Nutella!! If you'd prefer to use coconut sugar or another unrefined sugar it won't alter the taste but may drastically change the colour to a very non-lemon one! ?
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our favourite spring recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword