Posted in Recipes on 11.06.2018
Blueberry Lemon Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 muffins Print recipe?
How to Make The Best Blueberry Muffins
These blueberry muffins are so quick and easy to make, with a moist and tender center utterly bursting with blueberries and perfectly golden brown top. This version is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free too! We’ve been making these for year and have made literally hundreds, this recipe never fails to impress!
Have you ever wondered what the difference between a muffin and a cupcake is? There doesn’t really seem to be a definitive answer. The ingredients can be largely the same but the consensus seems to be that muffins are generally less sweet and tend to be filled with fruit rather than sweets. Personally I think it’s also about size. Cupcakes to me are dainty little things with delicate frosting in pretty colours. Yes you can frost a muffin too but as a person who eats muffins for breakfast it also needs to be something a bit heartier (and less sugary) than a delicate cupcake.
And these vegan blueberry lemon muffins are all those things. Filled with juicy blueberries, zesty lemon and the lovely thing that is Arctic Power Blueberry Powder. These natural fruit powders are a fairly recent discovery and give a lot of flavour oomph to recipes without changing texture and consistency.
I love blueberries so having the perfect combination of pops of real blueberry in a soft, light, lemony, blueberry sponge is absolute muffin nirvana to me ?
The real fruit helps to keep these muffins moist for a few days after baking too – something that can often be lacking in fruit-less muffins.
Another similarity with cupcakes is lightness of touch when mixing. Cupcakes are essentially mini cakes so the fats and sugars are beaten together, then the eggs are beaten in followed by gently and lightly folding in the flour – you don’t want to beat out all that air you’ve beaten in! With muffins it’s slightly different, there’s no frantic beating of anything, just a mixture of wet and dry – lightly mixed together until just combined. Over mixing can result in a denser crumb – and these muffins are all about lemony lightness ?
If you make these Blueberry Muffins, or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
If you make these Blueberry Lemon Muffins or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
Blueberry Lemon Muffins
prep: 20 mins / cook: 25 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 45 mins / quantity: 12 muffins
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups oats
- 2 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tblsp Arctic Power Blueberry Powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon – juice and grated zest
- 1 cup blueberries – fresh or frozen
- Preheat your oven to 180 Fan / 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside to cool
- In a blender or food processor whizz the oats to a fairly fine powder
- Tip into a large bowl with the baking powder, baking soda, blueberry powder and coconut sugar
- In a smaller bowl or jug whisk together almond milk, yohurt, vinegar, lemon zest and juice and the cooled melted coconut oil
- Pour into the dry ingredients and using a large spoon or rubber spatula, gently mix together. When it's almost completely mixed tip in the blueberries and fold through
- Use a spoon or scoop to divide evenly between the muffin cases then bake for 25 minutes until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Store in an airtight container
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Our Best Summer Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword