Posted in Recipes on 26.07.2018
BBQ Jackfruit Sliders
prep: 15 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 60 mins / total: 1 hour 35 mins / quantity: 4 portions Print recipe?
I’ll be honest .. I’ve been put off jackfruit after Phil tried a ‘pulled pork’ version at a vegan festival and said it was one of the worst things he’d ever eaten. Did I really want to try making something that could be THAT bad?
After a lovely friend’s assurance that jackfruit is, in fact, not the food of the devil (even going so far as to get hold of a can for me – don’tcha love friends who give you food?!) and seeing SO MANY drool worthy pictures of the vilified ‘pulled pork’ I HAD to find out for myself!
And boy oh boy, Phil has it ALL wrong. Maybe the recipe he tried wasn’t right because this stuff is mana from heaven!
I’ll admit, it IS an odd texture. When it’s cooked it looks for all the world like actual pulled pork. Straight out of the can .. not so much. Reminds me more of tuna.
It’s also important (if you’re using the canned version) to remove the very woody stem – just flake off the flesh and use that.
For this BBQ Jackfruit Sliders recipe I’m using my version of BBQ sauce. If you’ve followed us for a while you’ll know I’m a spice wimp so feel free to up the fieryness of the sauce to your own taste. Don’t knock it till you try it though – this sauce is full of sweet, sticky BBQ flavour.
I also made great use of our Ora round kitchen towels. Sliders are MESSY!! And they hold the bun perfectly – being cone shaped ‘n all – keeping the filling IN the bun not in your lap (or down your bra if you’re THAT shape – sometimes my boobs eat more than I do ?)
If you make any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! ❤)
If you make this recipe or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture!)
BBQ Jackfruit Sliders
prep: 15 mins / cook: 20 mins / inactive: 60 mins / total: 1 hour 35 mins / quantity: 4 portions
- 400g can jackfruit in brine
- 1 tblsp soy sauce
- 1 tblsp coconut sugar
- 1 tblsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tblsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp mustard (I use dijon but wholegrain or English will work just as well!)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 red onions – peeled and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
- drizzle olive oil
- 1 + 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Drain the jackfruit, submerge in cold clean water, swill then drain again.
- You'll need to remove and discard the hard woody stem - just cut it off or flake the edible flesh away from the stem. This is a great video if you're not sure which bit to cut off!
- In a container with a lid put the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, puree, cumin, mustard and chili flakes and powder and whisk together
- Add the jackfruit and stir to completely coat. Put the lid on the container and chill for at least an hour (can also be left overnight)
- In a medium frying pan or saucepan saute the diced onion and crushed garlic in a drizzle of olive oil over a medium heat until softened
- Add the marinated jackfruit and sauce to the pan and stir
- Add the veg stock and gently bubble, stirring occasionally, for around 20 minutes until the liquid is reduced and the jackfruit is meltingly soft
- Check seasoning and serve
- Store any leftovers in the fridge and re-heat thoroughly. It's also just lovely cold stirred into some hummus in wholemeal wraps!
Some products I used in today's post...
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Nooch. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Quick and Easy Meals
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword