Posted in Recipes on 16.01.2018
prep: 10 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 10 mins / quantity: 1 serving Print recipe?
Talk to anyone about food and what’s considered ‘good for you’ and you can almost guarantee debate. It’s a hugely complex subject with often very diametrically opposed opinions. All we know about is what’s actually worked for us.
The most (and continued) success we’ve had with losing weight and healthy eating all started with juicing. We’d tried all other kinds of ‘diets’ before. And I’m not demonising any of the calorie restricting diets – if it’s worked for you, that’s brilliant!! Keep at it and don’t give up! When you find something that gives you results that’s an AMAZING feeling. But ‘diet’ to us means so much more than quantity/calorie counting/eating cabbage soup every Tuesday when there’s a full moon ??
Crap is crap no matter how many calories are involved. We could continue to eat processed junk food which offered little to no nutritional value and be overfed but undernourished.
Different foods tend to effect your metabolism, hormone levels, hunger and appetite differently. Calories from nutrient rich foods will help keep hunger at bay, help maintain stable blood sugar levels, minimize cravings and let your brain signal your stomach that it’s full.
Nutrient poor foods will have the opposite effect. Wreaking hormonal havoc, spiking insulin, set off cravings, dull satiety signals and encourage further overeating.
We’re also trying to prove that it really doesn’t have to be hell to be healthy. I honestly never thought Phil would ‘take’ to juicing. He was an absolute confirmed carnivore when we met. And the idea of fruit and worse – VEGETABLES – sent him running away screaming. He was also diabetic and then got married a pastry chef who loved to cook.
But we both knew that we couldn’t carry on ignoring our health and its detrimental effects on our lives generally and it was a friend who introduced us to spirulina and the whole world of superfoods. Since then we’ve not looked back. Do we slip occasionally? Of course, especially when it’s Christmas ? Can we still eat cake? Yes!! Just healthier cakes!
But always at the core are superfoods and juicing.
Over the past couple of years of juicing we’ve used and literally burnt out a number of different types of blender/juicer. The first one was picked because I liked the colour and it was a reasonable price and we didn’t know if juicing would be a permanent thing we’d enjoy
What we found was there’s no value in the cheaper juicers/blenders. Especially if you’re using it daily or making a few at a time for more than one person for a couple of days.
We also found that cleaning a juicer (the kind that takes all the pulp out of the fruit/veg and leaves you literally just with juice) was a PITA to clean, taking almost as long as making the juices themselves
Thanks to a friend’s recommendation we now use a Nutribullet RX – it’s robust, one jug/one blade unit to clean and makes blended juices incredibly smooth. None of the fibre’s lost either like in a juice extractor!
And this is one of those juice blends that I could drink every day and not get bored with. So much fruity goodness with spinach for all the popeye feels and Revolution Foods Acai Berry Powder for some phenomenal health benefits:
- Being high in antioxidants, acai helps protect the body from cellular damage caused by molecules called free radicals.
- It contains amino acids which help promote muscle performance, energy production, endurance and strength
- Acai is also a great source of fibre, keeping your fuller for longer and promoting a healthy digestive system
- It can help lower cholesterol which improves blood circulation and helps prevent blood clots
- Acai berries contain a polysaccharide (a complex carbohydrate) that boosts the immune system and helps the body fight infection
- The acai berry is rich in health fats – these compounds raise HDL (‘good’) cholesterol levels making them heart healthy
- These essential fats can also help maintain adequate moisture in the skin and thus preventing skin dryness
All this from a juice that takes just a few minutes to whip up ❤
If you make this Antioxidant Juice or any of the recipes from The Cook & Him we’d LOVE to see! Just snap a picture and share it on Instagram using #thecookandhim and tagging @thecookandhim in the photo itself (as this guarantees we’ll see your picture! )
prep: 10 mins / cook: 0 mins / inactive: 0 mins / total: 10 mins / quantity: 1 serving
- 1/4 pineapple – skin and core removed and flesh roughly diced
- 1 Golden Delicious Apple – core removed and flesh roughly diced
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 1 handful mixed berries – fresh or frozen (frozen chills the juice nicely if you’re drinking immediately and saves the need for ice cubes!)
- 1 banana – peeled and flesh broken into chunks
- 1 peach or nectarine – stone removed and flesh roughly diced
- 1 tblsp Revolution Foods Organic Acai Powder
- 1 cup coconut water
- Blender or Juice Extractor – we use a Nutribullet RX
- Quite simply put all the diced fruit, the acai powder and coconut water into the blender cup and whizz until smooth
- That's it! Oh other than slurping away happily ?
Some products I used in today's post...
bar@drinkstuff Mason Drinking Jar Glasses with Lids 20oz/568ml - Pack of 4 | Gift Boxed 1 Pint Drinking Jar for Home Brew, Jam Jar Drinking Glasses with Screw Top Lids
Price £10.29 Was £14.99
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay us a small commission for our referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting The Cook & Him.
Hello and welcome to The Cook & Him.
We are Sam (The Cook), Phil (Him) and our little dog Meg. What started with a plan to shed a few pounds back in 2016, soon became obvious that eating healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
So, combining Sam’s 15 years of experience working within Michelin starred restaurants and our love for deliciously healthy food, we’re creating recipes for you to make and enjoy. We’ve added our own unique spin on traditional and contemporary vegetarian and vegan recipes that keep you (and your pets!) healthy and full. And we make sure they just work.
Fresh Spring Recipes
Configure your search
and I would like to see...
Or search for a recipe or post by keyword