Oat and Raspberry Crumble Bars
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 45 mins | Total: 60 mins | Quantity: 8 - 12 bars
- Start by making the jam. Put the raspberries, maple syrup, lemon zest and juice into a heavy based saucepan (this helps lessen the chance of it burning if you forget to stir it frequently!)
- Over a low-medium heat, gently bubble for 10 minutes till the fruit is very mushy, stirring frequently
- Add the chia seeds and bubble for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5 and line a 7 x 9 baking tin or dish with parchment, covering the base and up the sides
- For the bars, mash the bananas in a large bowl
- In a blender or food processor blend just the oats to a fine(ish) powder then stir into the bananas with the quinoa flakes, baking powder, coconut sugar, almond butter and cinnamon
- Reserve approximately 1/3 of the mixture and spread the rest across the bottom of your prepared tin, pushing out to the sides and corners, smoothing the top
- Spread over 3-4 tblsp of the raspberry jam then crumble over the remaining bar mixture, scattering evenly over the top. It's quite a wet 'dough' so you'll more likely drop clumps of it onto the jam than actually crumble it! Don't worry, it cooks firm and chewy ?
- Bake for 30 minutes then cool completely before cutting into bars
- We like big chunky bars so I only cut the whole thing into 8 but cut smaller for the little ones
- This jam recipe makes more jam than you actually need to make these bars, but I honestly can't get enough of the stuff - spread on hot crispy crumpets is something that could actually make the angels sing. So feel free to halve (or even quarter?) the jam recipe.
Recipe by The Cook & Him at https://www.thecookandhim.com/recipes/oat-and-raspberry-crumble-bars/