Herbed Beer Bread
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 80 mins | Total: 95 mins | Quantity: 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tblsp coconut sugar
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme – leaves only
- 1/2 cup chopped chives (around 1 large handful uncut chives)
- 2 tblsp oil – olive oil and avocado oil and melted coconut oil all work for this
- 2 tsp mustard – wholegrain, dijon or English all taste great!
- 1 1/2 cups Fitbeer – vegan and non-alcoholic beer
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 x 9 inch loaf tin
- Preheat your oven to 170 Fan / 190 C / 375 F / Gas 5. I also brush my tin with a little oil and dust with flour as it's an old tin and losing its non-stick! But if yours is new you probably won't need to do this!
- In a large bowl mix together both the flours, baking powder, salt, coconut sugar and herbs
- In a smaller bowl or jug mix together the oil, mustard, beer and milk then stir into the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula or by hand
- Mix together well until it forms a dough then tip into your prepared tin
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes then check to see if it's cooked by inserting a skewer into the middle of the loaf - it should come out clean with no bits of dough still clinging to it. If it's not cooked yet, just return to the oven and cook in 5-10 minute increments, keeping an eye on it!
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out and leaving to cool on a wire rack
- If you don't eat all the bread before it starts to go stale it's also just lovely as toast!
Recipe by The Cook & Him at https://www.thecookandhim.com/recipes/herbed-beer-bread/