Spicy Baked Beans
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 10 mins | Total: 20 mins | Quantity: 4 servings
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 red onion – peeled and finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic – peeled and minced
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- 1/2 – 1 tsp smoked paprika – though feel free to add more if you love spice!
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tblsp coconut sugar
- 1 tblsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 400g can cannelini beans
- 100g tomato passata
- salt and pepper
- In a medium/large saucepan gently sizzle the finely diced onion and the minced garlic with a drizzle of olive oil, stirring often, till they start to soften and the onion turns pale and translucent.
- Add the tomato puree, paprika, thyme, sugar, soy sauce and balsamic vinegar and cook for just a couple of minutes, stirring frequently
- Add the beans and passata and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Taste and season.
- Serve immediately or cool and keep in the fridge for up to a week (great for the lunchtime hungries!)
- Try them with our Honey Oat Wholemeal Bread for total comfort food heaven!
Recipe by The Cook & Him at https://www.thecookandhim.com/recipes/spicy-baked-beans/