Double Chocolate & Orange Muffins
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 25 mins | Total: 45 mins | Quantity: 12 muffins
- 50g coconut oil
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 free range eggs
- 100g plain 0% fat yoghurt
- 75g almond milk
- 80g honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 180g wholemeal flour
- 20g raw cacao powder
- 2 tblsp chia seeds
- 2 tblsp ground flax seeds
- 50g oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 150g dark or plain chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C Fan/ 200C/ 350F / Gas 6 and line your muffin tin(s) with 12 cases.
- First up melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan or in the microwave then set aside to cool.
- Into a large bowl add bananas broken into chunks and mash with a fork.
- Add the eggs to the bananas and using the same fork give a quick whisk, then add the yoghurt, milk, honey and vanilla and give another quick whisk.
- Add the flour, the raw cacao power, both the seeds, the oats, baking powder, baking soda and grated orange zest and give a quick stir with a rubber spatula. Before it’s all completely mixed together tip in the cooled coconut oil and chocolate chips and finish mixing. You want it all just brought together without overmixing (this can make the muffin texture a little dense)
- Pop large spoonfulls of the mixture into your muffin cases, sprinkle with a few more oats (this gives a lovely crunchy top!) and bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- Whilst these are delicious warm they do tend to stick to the cases till completely cooled, leaving a disappointing amount still attached to the case
Recipe by The Cook & Him at https://www.thecookandhim.com/recipes/double-chocolate-orange-muffins/