Tofu Stir Fry
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins | Total: 30 mins | Quantity: 2 generous servings
- 2 heaped tblsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 tblsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 tblsp oil – I used macadamia nut but can sub with olive, sesame, canola or avocado oil
- 1 tblsp maple or agave syrup
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard – I used dijon but wholegrain or English mustard would work too!
- 1 x 400g pack firm tofu
- drizzle of oil – I used macadamia nut but can sub with olive, sesame, canola or avocado oil
- 8 spring onions – thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
- good couple of handfuls of mixed fresh veggies – I used a mix of tenderstem broccoli, baby corn, mange tout and asparagus
- handful of whole peanuts
- 300g rice noodles
- salt and peper
- sesame seeds
- cherry tomatoes – halved
- Start by marinating the tofu (see note)
- Whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, syrup, garlic powder and mustard in a large bowl. Add enough water to make a thick coating sauce. It took about 1/2 cup (125ml) water for mine
- Open the packet of tofu and thoroughly drain off the water. Pat dry with some kitchen towel then thickly slice. Cut the slices into bite sized cubes
- Add the diced tofu to the bowl of marinade and gently mix together, coating the tofu
- Tip into a sealable container and put in the fridge for as long as possible up to 24 hours
- When you're ready to cook, par boil the veggies in plenty of boiling salted water. Don't overcook, you want a little bite left to the veg. Cook the harder veg first (like broccoli and baby corn) then add the softer veg for the last couple of minutes
- Drain the veg then swill under cold water to stop any further cooking, drain again and set aside
- In a medium frying pan heat a small drizzle of oil over a low heat then gently drop in the pieces of tofu. Sizzle for a minute or two until golden and crisp on one side then turn and repeat for the other side. I use tongs to turn the tofu, saves burnt fingers!
- While the tofu is cooking, heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan or wok and over a medium/high heat quickly saute the sliced spring onions and crushed garlic, stirring frequently. Add the veggies, peanuts, noddles and a good dash of salt and pepper and stir until sizzling
- Portion the noodles and veggies mixture into 2 bowls and top with the crispy tofu.
- If using, sprinkle over some sesame seeds and nestle in some halved cherry tomatoes
- You can serve this immediately but it really is just as delicious cold the next day!
- Marinate the tofu for at least 30 minutes but longer if you can - up to 24 hours. This gives the tofu plenty of time to really absorb all the lovely flavours!
Recipe by The Cook & Him at https://www.thecookandhim.com/recipes/tofu-stir-fry/