Yellow Split Pea and Cauliflower Dhal
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 60 mins | Total: 70 mins | Quantity: 2 servings
- 1 cup (200g) Hodmedod’s Yellow Split Peas
- 1 clove garlic – peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger – peeled and grated
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 2 cups (200g) cauliflower (fresh or frozen) – broken into small florets
- 1/2 cup (125ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1-2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 red onion – peeled and finely sliced
- handful cherry tomatoes – halved
- Give the split peas a rinse under cold water, drain and put into a medium non-stick saucepan along with the crushed garlic, grated fresh ginger and the vegetable stock
- Gently bubble over a medium heat for around 45 minutes till the peas are quite soft but still with a little bit of bite to them. Stir the pot frequently and top up with a bit of extra water if it starts to bubble dry. You don't want to end up with a stodgy lump but you don't want it too liquid either so just add a little bit of extra water as necessary!
- Add the cauliflower florets and almond milk and cook for a further 15 minutes, again stirring frequently
- While that's finishing off saute the peeled and sliced onion in a small pan until very soft and starting to caramelise, add the halved cherry tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes till warmed through
- Check the seasoning of the split peas and add salt and pepper to taste
- To serve put the dhal in a bowl and top with the onions and tomato. Enjoy!
- I use a non-stick saucepan when cooking anything like split peas or fava beans or the pan needs LOTS of soaking before washing up!
Recipe by The Cook & Him at https://www.thecookandhim.com/recipes/yellow-split-pea-and-cauliflower-dhal/